Friday, January 27, 2012

LaceUp4Lupus

Yesterday I received an email from my sister Kirsten that she has decided to run the 2012 Boston Marathon in support of a charity (Lupus Canada) by joining her friend Heather’s fundraising team “LaceUp4Lupus.”

I’m having trouble getting my words out of my brain, through my fingertips and onto the keyboard today, so I thought it might be best just to share Kirsten’s email.

So without further ado…

Most of you know that I qualified last May at the Vancouver Marathon to run the Boston Marathon. I am so excited that I will finally get to travel to Boston this April and run in the 116th Annual race. For those of you that don't know marathons, Boston is the dream... I have been trying for years to qualify and training an unbelievable amount to improve my fitness so I can run a strong race there.

I recently discovered that a friend of mine, Heather Bretshneider, has lupus and is running the Vancouver Marathon this year to raise money for Lupus Canada. She is asking other runners for support by joining her team 'LaceUp4Lupus' and choosing their own race to run, with the goal of raising a total $4200 ($100 per km of the marathon).

It was an easy decision for me to join and run the Boston Marathon in support of her team. I had been thinking about running for a charity and it makes me even more excited to be fulfilling my personal dream while helping others.

We are collecting donations through the 2012 Walk for Lupus website and I would appreciate any donation - big or small! My goal is to start by raising at least $420 and then see where I can take this from there. The easiest way to support me is by making a secure online donation using your credit card using this link.

You can read more about Heather's story by checking out her blog.

The Walk for Lupus is Lupus Canada’s most important national public awareness and fundraising event. Lupus affects tens of thousands of Canadian men, women and children. It is a chronic, inflammatory disease that can attack any tissue or organ in the body. Although there is no cure, with your help we will be one step closer to finding one.

www.lupuscanada.org has more information as well.

Your support is greatly appreciated. Please consider passing this message on to your friends, family, and coworkers.

Thank you!
Kirsten



As for today, I’m thinking it’s going to be a pretty good Friday. The sun is shining and I started off the day with a run along the waterfront as the sun came up. As I crested the little mini-incline from Cook Street onto Dallas Road, the lights of Port Angeles looked like they were within swimming distance. The sky was clear and even the darkness of the morning seemed bright....

No comments:

Post a Comment