Thursday, March 31, 2011

Talking Points?

So, it’s that time again where I can’t focus any of my thoughts into one succinct post, so instead what follows is a a random mish-mash of ramblings…

Including:
Off the bike trainer and on the road ~ Trekking the Trans Canada Trail (ok, really, it was just a long(ish) run) ~ Ankle. Pop. Stop. Lock. ~ Sugar and Chocolate. Please, no more sweets. Gimme healthy eats? ~ Training Camps and Racing Feats.

So, let’s see... The bike!
I’ve had two really memorable rides lately. The first was on the Wild West Coast a couple weeks ago when Shane and I spent the weekend in Tofino with friends. When I set out for my ride the weather didn’t look too bad, but not even 20mins into my 90min ride, it was pouring! Yet, for some reason, I didn’t really care. The wind blew, the rain pounded down, and the hail bounced off my helmet… but it was fun! It was my first ride outside in a while, in new surroundings, and it felt so good to just give’r. It doesn’t hurt that I absolutely love Tofino and Pacific Rim Park.

The second was this past weekend. I saddled up for an out and back ride along the Goose/Lochside trail. It wasn’t the most challenging course obviously, but I tried to push my pace a little and again, just kind of enjoyed not being stuck on the trainer. The best part came toward the end though, when I met up with this young(ish) girl at a stop light. She had spent the past week in a cycling camp and was super friendly and chatty. I didn’t want to be rude as she talked away at me (and I was enjoying talking with her too), so I felt the need to try and keep up. So, for about 15mins I worked harder than I have in a long time on the bike. I was giving it everything I had to keep up with this [my guess] future elite cyclist, and while it just about killed me (not really), it was awesome.

Another equally good workout was a long run I did with Kirsten this past Sunday along the Trans Canada Trail. It was 1:45, with some efforts in the last 20-25mins. I haven’t done a lot of runs longer than 60-75mins lately, so was pretty pleased at how good this felt (for the most part). It was also nice to have some company and to revisit the Trans Canada Trail, as I haven’t run there in a while.

The only downside to this outing was at the end; my ankle decided to revolt and completely locked up. I spent the better part of Sunday and Monday hobbling around, stretching, icing, massaging and just “willing” my ankle to stop hurting and to move again. It’s still not 100%, but is definitely miles better than it was.

What else? Ahhh, chocolate. I have been craving sweets lately in a bad bad way - and I have definitely been over-indulging. My office always has mass quantities of candy and chocolate readily available, so, my goal for the last couple days has been to avoid the sweets at work. I realize "everything in moderation" and I'm not about to cut out sweets entirely, but I was finding it was becoming a bit of a reflex at work, that every time I walked past the reception desk and saw the bowl of chocolate and candies I would take "just one" - but "just one" every time you go to the printer or the washroom starts to add up. So, for the last couple days, I've vowed NONE - it an attempt the break the habit. Now, I repeat to myself “no sweets, no sweets, no sweets” as I walk by the delicious pile of sugary goodness. So far so good, but it ain’t easy. Anyway, I figured by making a note of it on the blogosphere, and just generally “putting it out there” will help in my quest to lessen my sugar intake. So, if you happen to see me with a caramel egg or a donut in hand – slap it away!

Last but not least, my motivational slump has continued slightly, but at the same time, I have allowed myself to be a little more flexible with my schedule and have been enjoying a bit more of the ‘play’ aspects of training. Also, thankfully, I’m in a bit of a taper/rest week as I lead into more time trials this weekend. The rest has definitely come at the perfect time (almost like Kelly planned it that way, haha). This rest, coupled with a mini-training camp and even some races on the horizon, I can tell I’m already starting to feel rejuvenated.


Also... testing out a new look for the blog. Can't decided if I like it or not yet. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment