Monday, March 7, 2011

Bazan Bay 5k - Race Report

I must admit to having mixed emotions about this race.

It was good in the sense that I set myself a new 5k PB (23:27 by my clock, 23:37 ‘official’ race time – it took me 10secs to cross the start line I guess). It was good that I survived after a week of feeling rather crappy. Also, I was happy to have placed 13/39 in my age group and to finish within the top half of the field overall.

And yet, deep down, I feel like it should have been better. I know that with this being a flat, fast course, PB’s are often broken at this race, and I think (even if it’s unrealistic), in the back of my mind, I was hoping to really smash my previous best. Or, maybe it was just the fact that I feel like I could have run a stronger race mentally.

Anyway, the race started out decent enough. As with any race, the start required some bobbing and weaving through the crowd, but I felt like I found a good pace and was happy with my split as I passed the 1k marker. Up to the turn around, I found myself getting a bit distracted at times as I watched the front runners racing back toward the end (I think I forgot for a few moments that I was racing too, and not just spectating... they make it looks so easy!). That said, I maintained a steady pace through the turn around and even had moments where I felt really great and relaxed and like my form and pace were impeccable.

Then unfortunately between the 3-4k stretch things got a bit difficult. The wind was coming off the water and creating a bit of a headwind, but I don’t know that that was really the reason for my struggles. I think I had just checked out a bit and let a few negative thoughts creep into my brain. I got passed by a handful of people in this stretch before I snapped myself out of my daze and realized this race was going to be over before I knew it. So, from 4k through to the end I tried to focus on my form - and even got a very good reminder from Kelly (“use your arms, lean forward” or something of the sort) with about 500-600m to go. I was happy to cross the finish line, and while I don’t think I looked very good, I actually didn’t feel too too bad.

All that said, there is definitely something exciting about a race that is over so quickly. It was really fun to race a 5k that was not at the end of a triathlon, and to take part in an event with such a deep field of incredible athletes. Victoria really does have an amazing running and triathlon community, and even if I’ll never be one of the “elites” it’s fun to be a part of this great community all the same.

1 comment:

  1. running on legs that don't feel like stumps is an AMAZING feeling, isn't it?

    do you find that you don't know how to push as hard as you think you should be able to because you are holding that bit back knowing how you "should" feel if you'd just come off a bike?

    Congrats on the race and the PB!

    ReplyDelete