Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Play

Training has been going fairly well as of late – not spectacular, but not badly either. I’m kind of in this weird state where I sort of feel like I’ve just been going through the motions a bit. I suppose my motivation has been a bit low. I'm not entirely sure why, as most of the time, once I do get out for a workout it feels pretty good and I've been happy with the workout and the results and happy to have done it – but there has been more of an effort to get myself out of bed in the morning or to put on my runners after work, etc., etc. (I’m sure any endurance athlete has these periods).

I suppose, sometimes I worry that I'm turning all my training into a bit of "must-get-workouts-done" rather than just enjoying them and having fun. Thankfully, I realize it's probably just a bit of a slump (or that maybe, just maybe, I'm completely over analyzing) and given another week or so, all these feelings will be gone. Who knows?

Anyway, I am currently reading “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall. I’m only about half way through, so I can’t really give a full review at this point, but I am really enjoying it so far. The story really is captivating, and the “characters” all seem to have a certain joy about them – a wonderful and curious reckless abandon. I feel like the key for each of these runners seems to be their ability to enjoy running. To be happy and present in the moment, and yet, to lose themselves in that same moment as well. They seem to have the ability to have fun - to play.

Kelly often mentions how as adults we forget to just play – and it’s so true. I’m totally guilty of this. Maybe I’m just hyper aware of it right now, but the theme seems to keep coming up lately - over and over (in yoga class, in books…).

So, this morning, on my easy/aerobic 65min run – I played. I didn’t think about tempo, or fartleks, or intervals, or even my pace. I just ran happily and comfortably – picking up the pace when I wanted, challenging myself on small hills – and took in the beautiful ocean air and the natural silence around me. Hell, I even stopped to take a few photos – and you know, I really enjoyed it. I guess maybe I’m already on my way to overcoming my “slump”.

So, here’s to playing more and “over analyzing” less!

Sunrise, Dallas Rd. styles

No comments:

Post a Comment