Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Sickness

I must admit, I didn’t realize it had been so long since my last post. Time continues to fly by.

I recovered nicely from my early morning fall during my last time trial and was thankfully able to put it out of my mind enough that I could enjoy an evening with Shane and the subsequent girl’s weekend in Whistler that followed. I spent the better part of my Saturday in the Whistler ER catching up with my good friend Laura - luckily for me (and not lovely Laura) I was not the one with the broken arm! Anyway, broken bones aside, it was a great weekend with amazing friends and the thought of training and time trials rarely even entered my mind.

Also, Shane’s anniversary gift finally arrived. Yay!


Custom Shane Bobblehead


The Monday following Whistler, I managed to get my 5k TT done (although, not as well as I had hoped), had a great massage thanks to the ever-wonderful Lysanne (Equinox Health Clinic), and then, well, the week progressed…. The snow hit Victoria and the sick hit me!

So yeah, training over the last week has been sporadic to say the least. As of right now I am definitely down with the sickness. I spent a couple days last week where my head hurt so badly that I thought my brain might be bleeding, and since I can’t take anti-inflammatory’s (and that is what every doctor seems to prescribe for everything and anything… “tension headache” in this case) this lead to my first experience with muscle relaxants. This helped shake the head pain (or so I thought, in reality it was probably just the progression of my illness), so I then spent the weekend at a mini training camp thinking I was all good, only to be knocked back over on Tuesday morning by this awful stuffy nose, raspy chest, utterly congested, feeling completely blah, “cold” – aka, the sickness.

I’m hoping to be well enough to race the Bazan Bay 5km on Sunday and *fingers crossed* get a new PB at the 5k distance, but we’ll see. I'm not really putting any pressure on myself at this point.


In other news, the Half Marathon clinic I was going to be leading has been cancelled due to lack of registrants, so I’m back to a completely selfish training focus for the season and will think about just me, myself and I. Well, that’s not entirely true, as I plan to be the best cheerleader there is for Kirsten, as she attempts to qualify for Boston at the Vancouver Marathon on May 1, as well as for my parent’s and my co-worker Mandy, when the 3 of them toe the line at the Oak Bay ‘Kool’ Half Marathon on May 15. I’m seriously considering pom-poms.


Oh, (man this post is all over the map), I’ve also been giving some thought to my race calendar and this is what I’m thinking so far:
Shawnigan Sprint (May 29)
Victoria Sprint (June 19)
Vancouver Sprint (July 3)
Transcendence Olympic (July 31)
Sooke Sprint (August 7)
Kelowna Apple Tri Sprint (August 21)

Following Kelowna, some down time in Penticton will be in order - soaking up the Ironman atmosphere and volunteering at this year's race!

1 comment:

  1. ug, being sick sucks. Being so sick that you think you are getting better and then going out and training hard and making yourself more sick... well, that's the type of attitude and determination that gets you to Ironman isn't it :)

    Hope you are feeling better soon.

    S

    ReplyDelete