Friday, February 24, 2012

I’m running Boston!

The Boston Athletic Association 5k that is.

I was recently cruising the B.A.A. site, trying to buff up on some of my Boston Marathon trivia for when we are in the City of Champions this April to cheer Kirsten on, and noticed they have a little 5k the day before the big show. (I say little, but the number of entrants will probably rival some of Victoria’s biggest races).

Since I’ve never run a stand-alone marathon (I prefer to get a good 3.8km swim and 180km bike warm up done first) I don’t think running the Boston Marathon is, realistically, anywhere in my near future. So a fun, fast and flat (I think the website said that somewhere) 5k finishing at the Boston Marathon finish line will have to suffice… and you know, I think it will be pretty cool and I’m actually quite excited about it. (Oh, and I’ll be gunning for a PR of course).

Other than registering for 5k races, this past week of training has once again been quite solid. I had to cut one run slightly short due to time constraints, but otherwise, I have managed to get in all my workouts (even strength training, which is usually the first thing to get cut even though I know it is important).

[Note: this wasn’t intended to be a ‘Random Friday Fact’ style post, but if it turns out a little random and all over the place, well, please don’t hold it against me].

So, let’s see…

Last weekend the skies seemed to open up and let forth a fury of rain and wind just in time for my bike workout. Unfortunately that meant I got to spend 2.5 hours on the trainer wishing it would get sunny (which it did – once I was done my ride). Fortunately, Shane joined me for the majority of TrainerFest 2012 and we got to spend some quality time together on our anniversary. Also fortunately, I think long(ish) trainer rides are good for working on one’s mental toughness, so that’s a win.

Speaking of, I’m pretty sure I will likely get to work on this mental toughness again this coming weekend (TrainerFest 2012 part deux?), as the forecast of rain and snow does not bode well for a long ride outside. Crashing on icy roads and anticoagulants usually don’t mix.

Aside from long trainer rides, I’ve had some moderately sized runs and longish swims this past week as well – most of which have gone really well.

Take this morning’s run for example – wind, rain and even a little sleet, and it was still pretty fabulous. I think because I actually kept a nice positive outlook and didn’t worry too much about pace or anything.

That said, Thursday morning I was just about ready to kill one of the women at the pool whom I ended up sharing the lane with. I wasn’t quite as fired up as this hilarious blogger/mediocre athlete, but sometimes the lack of pool etiquette really does irk me. Thankfully, my angst did offer some distraction and my 3.5k workout felt like it went by in the blink of an eye (although I would have preferred to finish the workout feeling happy and not murderous, but whatevs).

So, as always, there have been ups and downs to the week, but for the most part, I’m pretty happy with it on the whole. Once again, the positives outweigh the negatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment