Thursday, March 1, 2012

Black Licorice

Well, I’m in the midst of another “rest week”. Much like last time, my body and mind have been somewhat fatigued, but I have been assured that this is normal and if I wasn’t feeling this way, things would have to be adjusted.

In Kelly’s words:
“I am really happy to hear about the last recovery week! If everything goes to plan you should not start to feel ‘fresh’ until the Thursday or Friday. Earlier than that and we didn't maximize the last block either because of a planning issue or an execution issue. So good!”

So, yeah ~ good! Apparently Kelly planned and I executed perfectly, haha.

I’m also very hungry. I can’t seem to get enough food lately – especially black licorice, hence, the title of this post – but perhaps that is a story for another time (or perhaps that is just IM training and I’ve forgotten what it is like to have such an insatiable hunger. However, the black licorice thing I can’t really explain. Can anyone?).

Anyway, let’s recap shall we….

Last weekend the weather cooperated and Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day! I started the day with a swim workout (where I had to share a lane with a total [harmless?] weirdo who kept trying to ‘race’ me and then proceeded to tell Shane, repeatedly, how ‘fit’ I was) and followed it up with a nice 3hr bike with Shane and our good friend Ash – outside! No TrainerFest 2012 Part Deux for us. Not yet at least.

Sunday I met Kristen for a nice long run along the Lochside Trail. We encountered sunshine, snow and even a little wind, but it was a pretty fabulous outing. We even stopped at the world’s classiest McDonalds for a glass of water – it looked like a five-star restaurant in that place! Seriously, no sarcasm. I don’t know the last time I stepped foot in a McD’s, but wowza, they sure seem to be trying to class up the ol’ image. But I digress...

Kirsten had to run a little longer than I did, so I hopped on her bike and kept her company for the extra 40’ or so. It must have looked something like this...

... except I was decked out in a puffy vest and bike shoes that were about 2 sizes too small. Oh, and I’m a girl.


Monday was a much much needed rest day. It was glorious.

Fast forward from the weekend, and as of today (Thursday afternoon), I can already tell I’m feeling a little less sluggish than I was when the week started. I have a tempo run to do tonight before teaching a yoga class at the gym, and while I’ll admit, I’m not super jazzed about having to run, I know I will get through it and then I will be rewarded with a massage tomorrow morning before work. I sure am thankful for that!

Speaking of thankful…. interesting facts from Ali on the Run (oh, and Health Magazine).



Other than that, this weekend will comprise of training on Saturday (run/bike), followed by the Bazan Bay 5km on Sunday. I’m looking forward to racing this and am surprisingly nervous for it as well. I’m sure the nerves are because I would like to PR, but I also know a PR will take a lot of effort – especially with legs that might be a little dead from Saturday’s training. We’ll see. Regardless, it will be fun, as it will be a family affair - Kirsten, my Mom and my Dad are all racing. Woo hooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment