Friday, February 17, 2012

Let’s Get Random!

aka. Random Friday Facts

1) The title of this post was inspired by the Tostitos commercial where the guy is standing in the lineup at the grocery store and he is daydreaming and says out loud "Let's Get Naked!" However, I have searched "Tostitos Commercial _______" in various different ways on YouTube looking for a video of this commercial and could not find it anywhere. So now I am wondering if I am the only person who remembers it.

2) No matter what time I leave the house on a swim morning, and no matter what time I arrive at the rec centre, I feel like I have trouble actually getting into the pool before 6:10 and I have no idea why.

3) I have my very first swim cap worn in a triathlon (Tri of Compassion 2007) saved in an old shoebox. It is alongside my Ironman Canada swim cap from 2010. I doubt I will ever wear either of these caps again.

4) The best banana I have ever tasted was from Grenada. It was purchased by our tour guide, Martin Lawrence (yes that was his name) ~ aka. Mellow Yellow, during an Island Tour.

Fun fact: Grenada is also known as the "Island of Spice" due to the production of nutmeg and mace crops of which Grenada is one of the world's largest exporters.

Martin "Cat Eye" Lawrence. aka ~ Mellow Yellow


Mellow Yellow purchasing the BEST bananas ever! He was a great tour guide.


5) The best mango I have ever tasted was from Mexico. It was provided by our tour guide, Pablo (can't remember his last name - he definitely wasn't as special as Mellow Yellow), during a visit to the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve. It was an Ataulfo mango.

Fun fact: Ataulfo mangos are golden yellow and generally weigh between 6 and 10 ounces, with a somewhat oblong shape and a gold-blushed yellow skin. To eat "the best mango I have ever tasted" we peeled it like a banana (see how I tied that into number 4).

I could not find a photo of the mango or Pablo, but this was the view from the reserve's guest centre. The lagoon is on the right, with the ocean on the left. It was beautiful.


6) Sometimes when I think about going to New Zealand in October, I feel kind of overwhelmed. Not so much by the race, but more so when trying to decide what to do with our time exploring the country after the race. New Zealand looks amazing and I feel like we won't have enough time!

7) Kirsten is going to race the Boston Marathon in 2 months minus one day. I'm pumped. I would imagine she is more pumped, but also more nervous.

8) I sometimes think I like training more than I like racing, but races definitely motivate me to do the training. Interesting how that works isn't it?

9) Often, when I am running I come up with great ideas/thoughts for a blog post, but can rarely remember those thoughts once I am actually in front of a computer.

10) I ran this morning along the waterfront. It was rainy and grey and my legs felt a little heavy, but the temperature was perfect and the world was wonderfully quiet and I just really enjoyed being out running. It was a great way to start the day.

11) Golf umbrellas do not belong on crowded sidewalks. Just saying.

12) Tomorrow Shane and I will celebrate 6 years of marriage and 13 years of being a couple (gawd, how old am I?). Our day and weekend will definitely include some swimming, biking and running. I may be more excited about this then he is.

13) I saw Peter Reid downtown twice in the last two weeks. The first time I was with Shane and his reaction was "Who is Peter Reid?" Obviously we don't share the same tri-geek sensibilities. When I mentioned Shane's reaction to Kirsten, she was just as appalled as I was. Who is Peter Reid? Really Shane? Really?

14) I think it is pretty cool to live in a city where you can just happen to see some of the stars of our sport (past and present), walking down the street, grabbing a coffee at your favourite coffee shop or out on the trails running around the Lakes.

Well, I suppose that is enough randomness for one day. On the training front, I can say that this week has been really good. I would say if I had to pick two words to describe it, they would be solid and consistent. I’m feeling like I’m in a good place mentally and physically right now and have been pleased with how strong I feel lately. That has got to be a good sign.

And.... I'm out! Happy Weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Every swim cap I've ever had is in my swim bag. Is that weird? :) happy RFF!

    ReplyDelete