Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sweet Relief

As I slowly sunk myself into the piping hot bath water on Sunday afternoon, I couldn’t help but feel it had been a long time coming. In reality, it hadn't really been that long since my last bath, but a nice hot soak on the weekend is something I always look forward to. It’s a bit of respite from the uninviting showers at the pool I suppose; some relief from the rushed preparation for work after an intense morning workout.

This weekend, it felt like it would never happen. Thursday night I thought about having a bath, but decided to wait until Friday thinking it would be that much better (since Friday I had the day off – not only from work, but also from training). However the massive wind storm that battered the island over Thursday night and all day Friday had a different idea. Our power was knocked out early Friday morning and unfortunately would not be restored until late Saturday... and unfortunately, since we are dependant on a well, no power = no water.

The week leading up to Sunday was a relatively relaxed one on the training front, in that it was a bit of a recovery week (and a much needed recovery week at that). Both mentally and physically I was in need of a break, so it really did come at a perfect time. Before this week, I was starting to feel this constant heavy sensation in my legs, the twinge of a lactic acid burn just walking up a flight of stairs. My mind kept telling me “just skip that one workout, no one will know” but I didn’t, I couldn’t. So yes, while there were still workouts to be done, the ‘recovery’ aspect of the week was welcomed with open arms.

Sunday, Kirsten and I met up with my good friend Laura for an easy 90’ run along Dallas Rd (we truly do live in such a beautiful area). Even with massive head winds (and the odd bit of tail wind too) the outing was simply fabulous - for me at least, I can't speak for the other two. I forgot how wonderful it feels to run on fresh legs (or, at least semi-fresh legs), and at the end of the 90 I felt like I could have kept going, I even felt like I probably could have picked up the pace. It was great!

So after waiting and waiting for the bath that felt like it would never come, Sunday afternoon, after the best run I’ve had in a while, I finally got that sweet relief. My time in the tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment