Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Dance, Sing, Floss and Travel

The TC 10k is nearly upon us. I’ve run this race only once before, in 2008. I’m pretty confident I will be able to beat my time from that day two years ago, and while I know this race is just part of the training routine, is shorter than most of my long runs of late and is really just more of a personal test than anything else, I still find myself slightly nervous about how Sunday will go. I guess it’s the competitor in me. While I may never be at the front of the pack, jockeying with the top runners or setting a course record, I still want to get faster every time out. I still want to win my own little personal battle. Anyway, we’ll see how it goes I suppose.

All that said I have been enjoying a bit of a lighter training week leading into the 10k. The lighter volume has come at pretty much the perfect time as work has been non-stop, crazy-busy the last two weeks... almost overwhelmingly so (and, honestly, I very rarely get overwhelmed or stressed by work).

Anyway, when it’s busy at work, at least training offers a nice break and a nice routine to lose myself in. One notable workout of late (and my longest workout of the week) was a 4:45 bike on Sunday (following a decent sized swim). The bike was great - a complete turnaround from the last long ride I did. I was definitely more prepared for this mentally than my last long outing on the bike. There was no frustration, I consumed enough food and drink (although, maybe almost too much, as my guts were just rotten by the end of it and I couldn’t fathom the thought of another gel or sip of Gatorade) and I stayed [somewhat] focused the whole time. It was also Kirsten’s first outing on her fancy new bike... and while I do love my bike, I’m completely jealous of hers. It’s so shiny and new.

Other than that, I found myself reading the side of a Lululemon bag this week that was sitting on the floor of our bathroom while I was in the tub, and I was surprised by how great some of those little quotes/tips were. So, as dorky as it may be, a few of my favourites to end this post...

Drink FRESH water and as much water as you can. Water flushes unwanted toxins from your body and keeps your brain sharp. [I had to include this, as my friend Laura can attest, I’m constantly telling people to drink more water – it is the miracle cure-all in my books].

A daily hit of athletic-induced endorphins gives you the power to make better decisions, helps you be at peace with yourself, and offsets stress.

Do one thing a day that scares you.

Life is full of setbacks. Success is determined by how you handle setbacks.

Your outlook on life is a direct reflection of how much you like yourself.

That which matters the most should never give way to that which matters the least.

Jealousy works the opposite way you want it to. [uh oh, does this mean I’m not getting a new bike anytime soon? haha]

The world is changing at such a rapid rate that waiting to implement changes will leave you 2 steps behind. DO IT NOW, DO IT NOW, DO IT NOW!

Breathe deeply and appreciate the moment. Living in the moment could be the meaning of life.

The conscious brain can only hold one thought at a time. Choose a positive thought.

Creativity is maximized when you’re living in the moment.

Dance, sing, floss and travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment