Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lazy Days

It’s been a while since I last wrote… I suppose it’s because I haven’t really been doing any training and therefore haven’t had much to write about. Actually, come to think of it, maybe it has something to do with the fact that I haven’t been going on any long runs or rides where my mind starts to drift and I start penning the latest entry in my head. Regardless here I am. I'm finding I have missed writing on the blog as much as I have missed training... well, almost.

The week after the half marathon was a pretty typical recovery week I think. It consisted of some easy spin sessions on the trainer as well as some equally easy swims. I hadn't been in the water since the Sooke tri on September 13th so it felt both great and weird to be back in the pool. Actually, it really felt like it had been forever! My swim times were incredibly slow… and while I know I was supposed to be taking it easy , it still kinda made me gasp when I’d hit the lap counter after 500m and be 40 to 50 seconds slower than I knew I could be. Hopefully I was just having an off week… yes, that’s what I’m going to keep telling myself.

After that nice recovery week, training got derailed (although, this was a planned derailment) once again as I had to have a minor surgery to remove a lovely little foreign object floating around in my abdomen (long story). The surgery did come pretty much at the perfect time though (one week after the half and thankfully not before it), as it has allowed for a bit of a rest, relaxation and recovery before we really get going with training, you know, for that little race next August.

Last week, immediately following my ‘procedure’ I found myself laid up, sitting on the couch – incredibly antsy at one moment, but not wanting to do anything at the same time. The rest was welcomed with open arms.

But that was last week… this week I’m ready to get back at it. The 'guilt' of not exercising every day is starting to hit me. I find myself thinking about setting up my bike in the living room and watching a movie while I pedal to my heart’s content as the rain pounds down outside… thinking about that lovely lingering chlorinated smell on my skin after a morning swim session (am I the only one that loves that?). Heck, I’m even ready to break out Rusty’s new reflective run vest (it is sooo cool – and functional!) for an early morning jaunt around the neighbourhood. I suppose I should enjoy this down time though as I’m probably going to be longing for my nice warm bed as I slog through the early morning rain in the not so distant future.

Kirsten has also been taking some time off these past couple weeks. Her 'rest' wasn't quite as scheduled however, as she is forced to deal with what I believe is her first experience with Plantar Fasciitis. I’m sure she’s tired of hearing how it’s better to rest now and get healed than push through and make things worse. I will say though, that it’s a crazy (and really really hard) thing to go from working out every day, planning your life around your next training session to being told you can’t (whether by a doctor, a physio, your coach or even your own body – shouting at you to just STOP!). So Kirsten, I feel for you.

All that said, I think I had a much easier go of it during this down period than Kirsten did, as this isn’t the first time I’ve been told to take a break and well, this time mine wasn’t so unexpected. I had been aware of my impending surgery for about a month and new the game plan would be a few weeks off post RVM to take care of things before the initial build that will be November and December…

I guess, sometimes it’s nice to sit down, eat some Halloween candy and not worry about your missed interval session… and well, sometimes it’s nice to get back at it! I can’t wait for this ‘lazy’ period to be over!

No comments:

Post a Comment