Friday, May 18, 2012

Under 100

At the time I started writing, we are now 99 Days, 12 Hours, 57 Minutes and 3 seconds away from Ironman Canada 2012.

Anyway, I feel like it has been a while since I actually recapped my training and, so I figure it is time. Mainly so I can reflect on the past couple weeks, but also so that when I’m training for my next IM [oh yes, I’m sure there will be more - especially since Shane has mentioned IM Cozumel more than once recently] I can reflect back and see where I was at.

So, let’s get to it shall we?

Last weekend was JAM PACKED with training. On Saturday, Kiki and Ty came up to our place for a nice long bike. We headed down around the lake, out through Cobble Hill and continued along the Island Hwy until we got to Chemainus, where we turned around and headed back in the same direction.

The bulk of this ride, being on the highway, isn’t that strenuous. The roads are good and all the hills are pretty gradual and manageable. However, once you get back to Cobble Hill and start heading back toward the lake and up to our house, well, let’s just say there is a lot more uphill than there is downhill. All this climbing is then capped off with the 'Christmas Tree Farm Hill' that climbs you out of Shawnigan. It’s definitely a decent climb - no Richter or Yellow Lake - but substantial all the same… and made all the more challenging at the end of a 4-5hr ride.

Last time Shane and I did this ride, I had a bit of a mental breakdown. I’m pretty sure I had not taken in enough food or drink and often when I begin to bonk, my mental state goes before my physical body shuts down.

Happily, Saturday's ride was about 100x better than the last time! I can’t say I climbed the 'Christmas Tree Farm Hill' fast, but it was definitely steady and smooth and I remained pretty positive the whole time. We continued on with the climbing all the way up to the top of Stebbings Rd. It was a good confidence boost.

Following the ride we did a nice easy 25’ run and then returned home to eat!

Sunday was an equally big day of training, starting with a 2:15 run. Shane and I met Kirsten at her place and headed out along the Lochside Trail. The day was pretty hot, but there was enough shade on the trail that it didn’t feel too too bad. Unfortunately, about 1:30-1:40ish into the run I got the worst side stitch. I haven’t had a cramp like this in a long time and it definitely made the final 30-45’ of the run a bit of a challenge. To say I have felt better would be an understatement… but, we finished.

Post-run it was time for bike and swim technical sessions (lasting just over an hour each) with Kelly and some other LiveFit athletes. I’m so thankful we were working on the technical aspects of the bike and swim and not having a super hard workout, as my body was feeling pretty cooked at this point.

Monday I had a day off from training. A GLORIOUS DAY OFF! It was my first day off in a couple weeks, and man-oh-man, I needed it. My body was tired.

Tuesday I was supposed to do a swim and a run, but on Monday I had decided to substitute my run with a bike workout, as I've been having some ankle issues since the TC 10k and wanted to give the ol' ankle a bit of a chance to rest (especially because it was absolutely killing me on Monday).

My plan for the day was to get up and bike and then do my swim after work. But umm, yeah, that didn’t happen.

When my alarm went off I could not believe how exhausted I still felt – even after a rest day! I figured, no biggie, I’ll still swim after work and all will be good, but well, that didn’t happen either, haha, oops.

My motivation was at an all-time low on Tuesday. I’m generally not in the habit of skipping two workouts without an extremely good reason or some serious guilt. However, on Tuesday, the guilt was barely there, so I knew I probably needed the extra bit of rest.

It’s funny, because I’m really good at reminding Kirsten and Shane to listen to their bodies, but usually have trouble taking my own advice. However, on Tuesday - I did just that. I listened to my body and took the extra day of rest and I really do think it has paid off, as my workouts the rest of this week have not felt like a chore and have generally been pretty good.

One particularly noteworthy workout since my unplanned double rest day was a pretty darn good interval run yesterday morning before work. I had to get up flippin’ early to fit it in (4:45am – ugh), and while it was a tough one and my ankle still hurt a bit, when it was all over, it was really really satisfying!

This weekend I’ve got some serious volume to put in as well, but I’m really looking forward to it. Even more so, I’m looking forward to another day off on Monday - from training and work! I don’t know the last time that has happened.

From there, it is a lighter week as we head into Shawnigan Sprint on May 27th. The season opener, dun-dun-duuuuh.

Speaking of racing, we (we being Kirsten, Shane and I) got new tri-suits recently. We wanted to have matching suits and wanted something that would stand out on the IMC course. As such, we opted for some Frontrunners gear. I really like the suit, however am struggling with the shorts a bit on the bike – as they don’t have the silicone leg grippers. Weird right?

Currently, we’re trying to figure out the best way to add the leg grip to the shorts. Any suggestions on the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Ahhhh, silly self-portraits with The Colonel.

No comments:

Post a Comment