Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Snap Shot

I have too much in my head right now… so, buckle up and get ready for a bit of a mental vomit. Join me as I attempt to clear my mind through my fingertips.

Ready. Go!

1) This past weekend Shane and Kirsten were both away on the West Coast Trail (with Kirsten’s class) so I was on my own for training. I do enjoy having to conquer the odd big weekend by myself, as I know that come race day, I’m on my own. I also know that lots of people train for Ironman on their own all the time, but well, I’ve been lucky enough to always have at least one training partner. So, all that said, big solo blocks of training are a little out of the norm for me.

Anyway, Saturday I had a 5hour bike followed by a 30min easy run off the bike. It went AMAZINGLY well. I was so happy with it. The weather was perfect (blue skies, not too hot and not too cold) and the roads were surprisingly quiet. The time flew by and I felt really pleased with myself when it was all done.

Sunday was long run day. I wish I could say it went as well – and really, it didn’t go that badly – however, I realized that it was the longest run I’ve ever done by myself. Ever.

2.5hrs of circling the Lakes is a bit draining. I missed not having someone to talk to and not having any distractions. I’ve never run with music, but I think I could have used some on Sunday. Also, admittedly, I probably didn’t consume enough calories and by about the 2:10 mark, [Mom, stop reading now] I found myself a little dizzy and just hoping I’d make it through to the 2:30 mark without running into a tree or falling over into the lake.

Luckily, I made it through and treated myself with a glorious 10minutes of standing in Elk Lake up to my waist, drinking chocolate milk and shivering while the cold water soothed my legs. It was a pretty great end to a so-so run.

2) I think I’ve mentioned before that I sometimes get words stuck in my head. (See #9 here). Before I left on my ride on Saturday I was watching that day's footage of the Giro before heading out the door, and I could not get the following words out of my brain: Damiano Cunego, Colnago and Campagnolo.

3) I’m reading The Runner's Rule Book right now.

On Saturday’s ride I decided to give myself the title of “Master Snot Rocketeer” due to all the goo that I was expelling from my face (with extreme precision I might add). When I got home that night and read Rule 1.18, well, let’s just say, I had a very good laugh.

Rule 1.18
LEARN, AND LOVE, THE FARMER’S BLOW

Farmer’s Blow \ fär-m?rz blo \ n: a process by which one clears a nostril of mucus by pinching shut the opposing nostril and exhaling forcefully
[syn: Snot Rocket]

4) This coming Sunday is the Shawnigan Lake Sprint. I’ve done this race many times. I know the roads around Shawnigan almost too well. I know the lake will be cold, but I know I will have fun.

Once again, I find myself starting to become a bundle of nerves.

I think one of the reasons for this is that I feel like I am finally figuring out how to run fast [for me] in road races, but now I find myself wondering – can I translate that into running fast [for me] off the bike?

It’s that whole “embracing the hurt” thing again. I really really need to learn how to do that.

5) On Sunday I ate a small Oreo Blizzard in the afternoon. I followed that up with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s “if I had 1,000,000 flavours” in the evening.

It was magical.

I thought about saying something like “I’m writing this to assuage my guilt” but I don’t feel guilty. I worked hard all weekend and enjoyed every moment of ice cream bliss.

6) I’m swimming in Thetis tonight. Open water for the first time this season. I am already cold....

7) Last but not least, I know these "Shit blank Says" things were going around the inter-webs many moons ago now, but I really really love the part in this video where the guy says “who says soda, it’s pop” (or something like that). It cracks me up and I find myself saying it with a nice thick east coaster accent all the time. I don’t think anyone really ever knows what I’m referring to – so here it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment