Friday, April 20, 2012

Wicked Fast Runnah, Bahston 2012

First, let me just say, I love a good Boston accent.
“Meet me at the pahk.” ~ “You’re wicked smaht.” ~ “Let’s go to Hahvad.” ~ “I don’t need a cah, I’m a wiched fast runnah.”
Ok, I’m done.

So, Boston… It was quite simply an awesome trip. We saw and did so much, and yet I feel like we barely scratched the surface of what the city had to offer. I feel like I could write and write and write about it, but that might get kind of boring. So the highlights then? Ok.

Well, some of the highlights were walking The Freedom Trail, visiting the USS Constitution, a Fenway Park tour and a Red Sox game (that had A LOT of home runs and a Red Sox win), running in the Boston Common and Public Garden, racing the BAA 5k, taking a marathon course tour, seeing Dick and Rick Hoyt (so inspiring), and of course the race expo and MARATHON MONDAY!

The race expo was amazing. I love a good expo, but the expos we have here in Victoria are nothing compared to the extravaganza of running awesomeness that was the Boston Marathon expo. I went a little sample happy (but I wasn't the only one) and I think we all came away with bags full of running goodies and tummy aches from all the samples of gels and shots and blocks and electrolyte beverages. Oh, it was good. I actually would have liked to have gone back a second time, but the days flew by and it just wasn’t meant to be.

The BAA 5k was a really fun race and a nice way to start a Sunday morning. How ‘bout a little race recap you say? Well, ok.

I think on Saturday afternoon I sort of decided that I was just going to try and run it at a decent tempo effort and not really try and kill it or go for a new PB. We had walked a lot and my legs were not feeling super fresh and I just wanted to have fun.

When Sunday morning rolled around I was still feeling the same. I had a decent warm up, got in some good strides and all that fun stuff, and took my place in the corrals with all the others. Tyler and I lined up at the 6min/mile pace sign and I was worried we were too far up, but when the gun went off I went out at what felt like a comfortable pace and was pleasantly surprised to be passing tonnes of people. Of course, there was a bit of weaving, but I never really felt frustrated by the crowds so that was nice.

I went through 1k around 4:20-4:25 and was happy with that. From there I just tried to maintain that effort and enjoy myself. There were a few times as it got later into the race that I kind of wanted to back off as the effort was becoming a little more challenging, but I still felt pretty good and solid, so I tried to keep pushing.

I ended up crossing the finish line in 20:06 (5 seconds slower than Bazan Bay in March and my PB at this distance) and was really happy with that. My splits were way more even than Bazan Bay and I just felt better at the end. Of course, I kicked myself a little for being that close to a new PB and not really going for it (as I definitely think I could have pushed a little harder and gone under 22:00) but it was what it was and I was really happy with the effort and the day.

Post 5k I had a baby wipe shower on Boylston St and we all headed out on a course tour. Our guide was John – an 8 time Boston finisher, sub 2:30 marathoner and course tour guide for the past 20 years. He had a wicked good accent so it wasn’t hard to listen to him for 3hours.

As for Marathon Monday, well, what can you say? It was pretty amazing to see the runners and the crowds of fans lining the streets and the organization that it takes to pull off such a massive event.

Of course, it was also disgustingly hot, but you knew that already. Kirsten conquered it like a trooper though, taking it all in stride. All things considered, she did absolutely amazing and I think she really embraced the experience and enjoyed herself.

We (her extraordinary fans) parked ourselves around the 30km mark (pretty much at the bottom of Heartbreak Hill) and when Kirsten came by, she actually stopped and gave us all hugs and had a drink and chatted for a minute or so – all the while with a huge smile of her face. This is not something that is typical of Kirsten when she is racing (I don’t mean the smile part, but the stopping part is not typical) so it was kind of special to get to share in her day in that way. Once she passed we hopped on the subway and headed back toward the finish line. We caught a glimpse of her as she turned onto Boylston from Heresford and raced toward the finish line and became a Boston Marathon finisher!

Yeah, it was wicked good.

No comments:

Post a Comment