Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Season Schedule and Other Tuesday Tidbits


This weekend I sat down with Kelly and discussed what races I’d like to do, as well as how many training weekends in Penticton are realistic, and how these will all fit in the ol’ season schedule.

Here is what we’ve come up with:

May 27 – Shawnigan Sprint

June 2/3/4 – Penticton Mini Camp

June 17 – Victoria Half

June 24 – Tour de Victoria 100km

July 27/28/29 – Penticton Mini Camp 2

August 5 – Self Transcendence Olympic

August 26 – IRONMAN CANADA

October 22 – Age Group Sprint World Champs, Auckland, NZ

It didn’t seem like that much as we were simply talking about it, but once we started laying it out on the calendar, it does seem like a pretty jam-packed season, non? I think it is a good mix though, racing + big volume weekends, with enough weeks between for the training to ebb and flow somewhat naturally.

I’m also really excited to do the Tour de Victoria 100km ride. Not so much for the whole “mass participation cycling event” experience, but more because I am going to do it with my Dad. I think it will be a fun day together. Now I just need to get over my fear of riding in such a huge group (which I didn’t actually realize was a fear until after I’d signed up on Monday morning and started thinking about how many people there would be) as well as my fear of Munns Rd and Millstream Lake Rd. I may need to get out and start practicing my hill climbing abilities.

As for my Other Tuesday Tidbits. Well, let’s see...
Training this weekend saw one very bad day and one pretty good day, so I guess it balanced out.

Saturday was rainy and cold and overall pretty ugly out, but Shane and I layered up and headed out for our ride anyway. About 20' in, Shane got his first flat tire. So, there we stood on the side of Wallace Rd, getting drenched and cold while he changed it. Once that was done, we were back on our way and encountered a few little climbs to help warm us back up. Unfortunately, about another 25-30' down the road (just as we were both finally warmed back up) he got his second flat tire. Again, we stood on the side of the road getting drenched and colder and colder. We were now out of spares but figured we'd just keep going and that if we got another flat we'd just call my parents (they were borrowing our truck, so it’s only fair right?). Unfortunately, neither of us could really get warm again and when at one point I looked back and saw Shane visibly shaking and blowing on his hands we decided to pack it in for the day and rode back to our start point (aka. Kirsten and Ty’s house). So, we only got to ride for about 90' when we were supposed to do 3hrs. We planned to go home and finish the ride on the trainers, but the day got away from us and before we knew it we had barely enough time to get home and get showered before heading down to our friend’s place for dinner. C'est la vie.

Sunday turned out to be a pretty decent day weather-wise and we tackled a nice 20km out and back run along the Trans Canada Trail. I felt really good the whole way (probably because my legs were nice and fresh after such a short ride on Saturday, haha) and it was over before we knew it. Surprisingly, I even enjoyed the pickups at the end! Although, I’d say running over the newly rebuilt Kinsol Trestle was the highlight.


Monday was a day off. I didn't really feel like I needed it in the same way that I had needed a rest day the week prior, but I took it anyway, and enjoyed it.

This morning I sucked at swimming again and am having a hard time getting over it. In fact, I’m not sure I’m ready to “talk” about it quite yet. Let’s just say, DISASTROUS is the only word that comes to mind. Le sigh.

Of course, I can’t end on that, so something more positive. I’m getting a massage after work!!!! Lysanne will make me feel better.

Oh, also, I saw this photo/quote the other day...

LOVE!

I need to start listening to my heart more and tell pride, experience and reason to piss off – not all the time, but maybe in the pool.

Happy Tuesday and Happy Short Work Week!


No comments:

Post a Comment