Friday, December 16, 2011

Can you tell me how to get, how to get off Struggle-me Street…

I remembered reading a post from Adam Campbell earlier this year about being on “Struggle Street”. I remember sort of relating to the post at the time and since then, the term has just kinda stuck with me. Unfortunately, this week, I thought about that post a lot.

Can you guess what is coming next?
Yeah, you got it – training this week has been a real bitch, I mean struggle. ;)

I’d say overall it has definitely been more of a mental struggle than a physical one, but after a hard trainer session on Wednesday night that lead into some very unimpressive workouts and a very negative attitude on Thursday, I kind of had a mini meltdown.

I actually had a moment in the pool when I stopped my watch after a 400 ‘steady’ effort where I wanted to cry. My time was so slow and I felt like I was working soo hard. Silly right?

Even sillier – I then had to choke back tears for a second time in one day, when about 20’ into my 55’ run things weren’t going as I wanted them to. At that point I finally packed it in (yes, I quit my run), jogged back to where I started, got cleaned up and treated myself to a coffee instead of finishing my fartlek.

I think the struggle and my general lack of mental fortitude this week just kind of freaked me out. Deep down, I know it's really early in the year and for most people it is still the off season, but I think I just had this slight panic that if I'm feeling burnt out like this so early in the season, what the heck is going to happen come May or June?

I know we are all entitled to bad days and/or weeks, but I’m really hoping this one passes sooner than later and that I can side-step Struggle Street for the rest of the season [wishful thinking? maybe].

Anyway, after a good “vent” via email (sorry Kelly), a good night’s sleep, and a day off today, I’m feeling a little more positive about what’s to come and less like a totally whiny, over-the-top drama-queen.

Fingers crossed that feeling lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment