Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Here I go again...

Well, it’s that time again - time to get back to a bit of a focus on running and gear up for the Royal Victoria Marathon (sorry, Goodlife Fitness Victoria Marathon). The RVM (really, I can’t call it anything else) has become somewhat of a yearly tradition for me. While I only took part in the festivities for the first time in 2007 (at that time, running my first 8k ever, followed by my first half marathon the following year), it has slowly become a staple race in my repertoire and one that I really look forward to each year.

This year I will take on the half marathon again. Of course, my ultimate goal is to beat my personal best time that I set last year. Although if it doesn’t happen, I hopefully won’t be too crushed. I’m in a bit of a funny state building into this race, as I know I am completely capable of taking down my previous PB, but I’m also not 100% sure if this year will be the year.

I’m not trying to make excuses; I just don’t want to set unrealistic expectations on myself. I suppose the reason I’m waffling like this is due to Ironman. I feel like I have recovered quite well from the race and all the training that lead up to it, and yet at the same time, there is a deep fatigue (both mentally and physically) that is hard to explain. I’ve been enjoying my workouts for the most part, but will admit it’s been taking a little more effort to get myself out the door, followed by a little bit longer to get warmed up and little more anticipation for the workout to be done.

The last two weekends have been split with good and bad workouts. I’ve had a rough interval workout on each Saturday, (where I think I’m either going to pass out or puke), followed by a decent long run on Sunday.

This past Sunday’s long run in particular actually went quite well. Kirsten and I headed out for two loops of the lakes with some good efforts thrown in. During a 30 minute half race pace effort, I struggled a little and questioned whether or not I could realistically hold that pace for 21.2k as opposed to say, 5 or 6, but I felt like I finished strong and was pleased with the workout on a whole. Mind you, thankfully Kirsten was there to push me to keep going or I may not have felt quite so good about it. Hard to know for sure.


Now, all that said, I suppose I should address the state of my blog. I thought with a new year of training and new goals ahead that a new look was in order. I’m not 100% sure I’m satisfied with the new look quite yet, so it may change once or twice more, but well, I’m sure I’ll get there.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. So very glad to hear you are going to continue with the writing. I love reading it, its inspiring and as you said insightful. Keep them coming. The new look surprised me but I think it is very you. Good Luck next Sunday, we will be there cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete