Monday, March 15, 2010

CLICK!

This weekend (well, Saturday mainly) something just clicked. It was one of those training days where everything felt right, everything connected and came together and just felt plain wonderful no matter what I did. Strange too, considering when I woke up my stomach was feeling pretty horrible and I was afraid my long bike would be a series of short bursts between bathroom breaks (and a whole different sort of bursts). Luckily (and thankfully), this was not the case.

Kirsten and I started the day a little later than normal at 9am with our swim workout. It was about 3.2k with the main set being 6x 400 (each 400 we alternated who was the lead and who got to draft)… and, might I just say - CLICK! What a great swim. The whole week leading into this swim, I was feeling more natural in the water and like my stroke was coming “back” to me and Saturday was no exception. I don’t know what I was or wasn’t doing to make it feel so good, but I think it’s probably best not to over think it and just go with the flow, cause I sure felt great when we got out of the pool.

From there we took a short break to gear up for a nice 3.5 hour ride. Thankfully, it was not raining (yet) which was a nice change, as it seems every ride lately starts in a downpour and ends with the two of us looking like we’ve returned from a downhill mountain bike session! I'm definitely getting good use out of my winter and wet weather riding gear this year.

Neither of us was really in the mood to go out and "kill it" so we decided a nice out and back along West Saanich would be the route for the day… and again, CLICK! My gearing was working, my cadence felt perfect and while the hills still made me huff and puff a bit, I just didn’t care.

About 2:45 into the ride Kirsten got a flat. While I don’t think she was too thrilled, I was secretly kind of excited to get to practice changing the tire. You know you’re having a good day when eh? It seems like her tire is actually a bit small for her rim, so it probably took us far too long (about 15-20 mins) to get the darn thing back on the rim, but we sure had some good laughs on the side of the road (or at least I did). Unfortunately the skies decided to open up while we were working on her tire, which cooled us both down significantly and brought on a good case of the chills, but it didn't take long to get warmed back up once we were on the road again….

And you know, before we knew it, we were home, another solid day of training in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment