Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Day Off

Sometimes I feel like I need to come up with these wonderfully eloquent blog posts, that have one clear theme from start to finish and make me seem like some brilliant writer (which is clearly not the case), but today, I think it will be different. Mainly because I start writing one thing and it suddenly turns into something else (actually, come to think of it, most of my posts do that don’t they?). Anyway, it may jump around a little, so bear with me, but, well, here goes….

Over the last three weeks since we returned from Hawaii I’ve had a pretty solid training schedule. A consistent weekly routine of about 4 runs, 3 swims and 2 bikes (give or take the odd run/bike/swim). So really, nothing too overwhelming, but solid none the less (and with no days off). Anyway, when we got back I looked at my calendar and saw the plan for the following 3 weeks (which has been this past 3 weeks – confusing, I know) and I vowed to myself that I was not going to skip a workout (not that I usually skip workouts, but sometimes things come up and you have to miss one, right?). Anyway, I’m happy to say that I have not missed a single one.

One notable workout during this time was this past Saturday when Kirsten and I set out for a 2.5hr ride. It was raining pretty hard, but we geared up in all our new Christmas goodies (thanks Mom and Dad – or was it Santa?) and headed out. We decided to go out Millstream way and loop around to Prospect Lake (via Millstream Lake/Munns Rd). Neither of us had really ever ridden that way and so got a very very rude awakening on Millstream Lake/Munns Rd - I really don’t know which road we were on, just that the hill was big and steep and long and I was very underprepared, both mentally and physically… it’s been a long time since I’ve attempted any sort of climbing and let’s just say, I did not gear properly (and that was the least of my problems). Needless to say, it kicked my butt! I was a little disappointed in myself at first, but then realized it would be great to come back to this route later on in the season and see how far I’ve come. I guess I realize it will be a good measure of my improvement. Anyway, the rest of the ride was fairly uneventful – a few 60 second efforts in the mid section, capped off by a relatively flat ending on the Goose. And you know, even though my rear end and bike were caked with mud so thick it fell off in chunks, it was good to get out on the road and not be a "fair weather" rider.

Other than that, I met with Kelly yesterday for a bit of a catch up and the usual check in – you know, how are things going, making sure everything is on the right track, etc. etc.… During our chat I was reminded that these past few weeks were realistically the least amount of training volume I will probably have from here on out – something I knew deep down in my heart of hearts, but still had a little ‘gulp’ when it was said out loud.

Anyway, it was great to get some pointers on swim technique and talk about run stride and have Kelly reassure me I’ll be ready for August. I know I will be, but it’s always nice to hear it from someone other than myself or my family.

During our chat, I also mentioned that I’d been feeling a bit tired this week. Again, not overwhelmingly so, just in that I am really ready for bed by the end of the night and a bit fatigued in general. I have since noticed that my scheduled run for tomorrow has magically changed to “OFF” on my calendar… and you know, I must admit it was a nice surprise. Like a small reward for not skipping any workouts over the last little while. That said, I know by tomorrow night I’m going to be feeling antsy and like I haven’t had a workout in days. It really is amazing how your body gets so used to the constant state of exercise (and fatigue) in such a short period of time.

Well, I think I’ve rambled on long enough and since it feels like months ago that we were actually in Hawaii and I miss it so, I thought a few pictures from a great vacation were in order… so here they are :)









No comments:

Post a Comment