Monday, November 30, 2009

Overcoming the grey days?

Last week was a bit of a tough one. I really don’t know why and in the grand scheme of things, it wasn’t that bad, I just struggled a little more than I would like – and not just in training. This week I seemed to struggle a little on all fronts: training, work and well, just the day to day grind in general.

As for training, I had a rest day on Monday which was nice. I didn’t necessarily feel too worn out and in need of a day off, but I gladly took it anyway. Onto Tuesday… I experienced some really bad cramping and pain in my calf when I set out for an easy run at lunch. This unfortunately came after an already lack luster swim that morning and it just kind of discouraged me and set the tone. I struggled to find a rhythm in anything I did and couldn’t just help but feeling a bit down. Maybe it’s the grey skyline or the total lack of inspiration / challenge / motivation at work, but either way, I just couldn’t seem to shake it. Thankfully I had a solid bike trainer session on Wednesday night (which was the high point of training during the work week), but sadly followed it by another ho-hum swim on Thursday morning. Feeling completely flustered, I decided to skip my run later that day (Thursday) – and you know, I didn’t even feel that guilty about skipping the workout, which is very very rare for me. By Friday I was just tired. Distracted even. Uneasy and on edge and just having one of those days where I was ready to cry over absolutely nothing and everything at the same time. The day was just one big *sigh*

All that said, after a good sleep on Friday night, I woke up Saturday morning feeling quite a bit better and more like myself (hmm, oddly it wasn’t a work day – go figure). I got up early and met Kirsten at my parent’s for an easy 90’ bike in the rain. We stuck mainly to the Goose as I haven’t been on my bike much other than on the trainer and didn’t want to ride alongside traffic in such a crazy downpour. We probably chatted more than actually pushed ourselves, but it was great to be out riding and enjoying the day. I don’t think either of us were really bothered by the pounding rain until the last 20 minutes or so.

Sunday was equally as fun. Shane and I met one of his friends (Seth) for a birthday fun run around Elk Lake. It was my first time ever running at the lakes (pretty shocking I know) and although I ended up getting separated/lost from the guys after I stopped for a bathroom break, it was a good morning. I can see why so many people run and walk the trails there! From there we had a great little breakfast/brunch with Seth’s family and friends and then I was off to my actual training session for the day…. This was a technical swim and run session coached by Kelly and Nick. I got some really great pointers from the guys for my swim stroke (which couldn’t have come at a better time as I have really been feelings sloppy in the water lately and just said the other day that I felt like I needed to throw my swim stroke out and start fresh). I need to work more on pulling with my lats and I’m now actually really looking forward to my next swim so I can focus on this. I know it is going to make a big difference (cause it already did in yesterday’s swim) but hopefully sooner than later it will become second nature. The run session was just as good, (focusing on some drills and strides) although my calf pain came back, so I was quite happy when it was over.

Other than that, after a “down in the dumps” week, the weekend was a nice pick me up. I’m hoping this week will carry on that same trend and that I've finally shaken whatever was getting me down.

Well, until next time… thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you had such a unhappy week. Please talk to someone about your calf muscle! Above all believe in yourself and the strength within you.

    ReplyDelete