Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ramble

I looked at my training calendar today and kind of had a *gulp* moment. The Victoria half marathon is in less than 2 weeks. How’d that happen?

As I was sitting there in that shocked *gulp* state, I also realized that I really have not written much about my actual training through this cycle. I suppose that could be due to the fact that is hasn't been a particularly long training cycle, or perhaps because it has been rather uneventful (in a good way)… but still, a little word here or there on how's it is going is never a bad thing. Right? Right.

I suppose the fact that it hasn't been a particularly long training cycle could be why it feels like all of a sudden it is upon me. I haven't had time to really get tired of running or training or overwhelmed by thoughts about my goals. On top of that, I still haven't really given much thought to “what's next” so my focus has actually stayed fully with this race. I'm present in this moment, focused on this goal, with no worries about base training for next year, etc. etc. Staying focused in the present. Hmm, what a crazy notion that is eh?

Anyway, I ramble.

For the most part, training has been going very well. I'm putting in the work and having fun while doing it. I've been running quite a bit (as you do when training for a running race), supplemented with some cyclocross (which I am loving so so much), as well as hitting the pool for the odd swim here and there.

On the running front, I think some speed is creeping back in. After months and months (years and years?) of long slow, iron-distance pacing, it’s been nice to go out and push myself at a 5km or 10km effort and see what happens. I think my body is adjusting and adapting, which is good.

My long runs have included a lot of “goal race pace” efforts/tempos and while there have been a few days where I question how I am going to hold that pace for 21.1km and not just 7 or 8km, it is getting easier. Looking through my training calendar, I've noticed I've used the word “controlled” a lot lately, which I think is a good thing. I've been in control of my pace, in control of my breath and really, in control of my mind when I might be hurting during a workout. I hope to carry this through to the actual race.

As for cyclocross, I'm so incredibly happy I stepped out of my comfort zone and joined the Cross Club. I still don't really, truly know anyone, and I still get a little anxious on Wednesday nights as I head to the venue, but the joy I get while ripping around on my bike outweighs any of the nerves and anxiety.

I did my first actual race (since 2011) on Sunday and had a blast. I placed about mid-pack in the beginner women's category, so there is still definitely room for improvement, but I find my main focus with cross is to improve my bike handling skills, get in a good (short but hard) workout and have fun, and you know, each and every time I've been on my cross bike this year, I've accomplished those things, so I think that is a win.



But yeah, I'm rambling again.

So, let's recap…
Running is going well. Cyclocross is super fun. Life is generally pretty darn good.

Until next time. Peace out homies.      

No comments:

Post a Comment