Monday, April 28, 2014

My IronHeroes

Ironman isn't easy. Getting to the start line is time consuming, costly and downright tiring some days – and while it may be an individual sport, it is one that I've learned really cannot be done alone.

We've all read the posts and articles about the people behind the scenes that make it happen. We all have them. Those wonderful individuals that allow us – the sometimes selfish, training obsessed triathlete – to be able to get in the miles, work a full time job and still (mostly) function as a ‘normal’ human being. They make it easier to get to the start line, prepared and ready to tackle a life changing event.

For me and Shane, the two people who allow us to do what we do, and support us with so much unconditional love day in and day out, are my parents.


Sharon and Mike, Mike and Sharon – easily the greatest Ironman sherpas and supporters that could ever exist. Without them, I don't know what we'd do.



As training has ramped up lately, and schedules have changed in our household, it feels like we've been leaning on my parents a lot more than normal. In fact, some weeks it feels like Rusty spends just as much time with my folks as he does with us! (Which I'm sure he loves, as he never gets hot dogs at home, haha).

This past Saturday, they outdid themselves. Shane and I had a 150km bike on the agenda, but we also had a 2nd birthday party to attend for our friend's little guy in the morning that we didn't want to miss (2 is a big deal and you know, we like to try and remain somewhat social so all of our friends don't think we've completely disappeared).

This meant that we dropped the Rustbeast off with my parents around 10am, headed to the party for a couple hours (where I stuffed my face with awesome training fuel of Thomas the Tank Engine cupcakes and other party treats) before eventually saddling up on our bikes around 1:00 to start our ride.

For me, starting a 6+ hour bike ride at 1:00 in the afternoon is not really ideal, but you do what you gotta do.

It was a tough ride that saw us battling a pretty fierce headwind for the last 65-70km. Mentally and physically drained by the time we arrived home, my parents proved once again why they are the greatest.

They had driven up to our place (which is about 20mins from their house) to bring Rusty home and cook us a huge feast! Oh, and on top of that, my Mom cleaned my entire kitchen! Cupboards, toaster, range hood, you name it; it was clean. Cleaning is something that has been sorely neglected over the last little while, so it was no small task.

[Side note: who else lives in a filthy cesspool while IM training? Please say Shane and I aren’t the only ones].

While it wasn't a total surprise as we knew they were going to be coming up to our house with the pooch, it was still the most incredible and awesome treat to be able to finish a wonky training day and come home to a warm house, smiling faces and yummy food.

I am forever grateful for their love and support, and only hope that one day I can be as awesome as they are.

I love you Mom & Dad.


And on that note… some more #100happydays

Day 9
Soaking up the sunbeam before work.
My ability to almost always have inappropriate socks on when trying on dresses.
 Day 10
Coffee with an old acquaintance turned new friend.
Also, Habit.
   Day 11
 Easter treats at work. 
Day 12
Kirsten getting her stagette weekend started!
 Day 13
While the fact that everyone was sleeping after a night of hard partying didn't make me happy, I really like the composition of this photo, so that made me happy. 
The dog 'big air' competition in Whistler.
Check out that crazy mutt almost doing a back flip.
 Day 14
[oops, not a single photo was taken this day... but I swear there were happy moments]

Day 15
Rusty, cruising with his head out the window. Ears and jowls flapping in the wind. 
 Day 16
Quiet sidewalks and cherry blossoms on the stroll to work.
  Day 17
Extending my morning commute to take in the beautiful views, and seeing the signage already up in anticipation of the weekend's TC 10km
Springtime in Victoria!
Tulips...
Tulips...
Totem poles...
...and more tulips.
  Day 18

Jeans Day!
 Day 19
Always thankful and happy to be rocking my Road ID.
  Day 20
Catching Shane coming out of the A&W on our long bike ride on Saturday and the devious joy on his face.
  Day 21
Getting ready to run the TC 10km with my Dad. 
 Day 22
Is it weird that a pile of clean Tupperware makes me happy?

2 comments:

  1. You're definitely not the only one whose house is a disaster during IM training! We just moved, and oh my god… I think we've only unpacked our clothes, shower stuff and the bed!

    Love your #100happydays pics! Send some of that beautiful spring weather to Minnesota! :) Super cute dress and striped flats, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin ~ so glad to hear we are the only slightly messy Iron-peeps out there ;)

      Delete