Friday, April 5, 2013

Training Rambles

While out running at lunch today I started to think about the fact that I haven’t been writing much about my actual training on the ol’ blog as of late. Of course, I then found myself composing a little training recap in my head.

I do this often as I run – composing blog posts in my mind – yet, very rarely do these ‘masterpieces’ find their way to paper (or the computer in this case). Today is really no different, I can’t remember exactly what I was thinking about (running, puppies, food, running, blow torches [don’t ask], trails, running….), but now, here I sit, on a Friday afternoon with some time to kill and so, I figured a little ramble about marathon training couldn’t hurt.

Marathon training.

Gawd, it still seems weird to say that I am in the midst of marathon training right now. I’m pretty sure at this time last year (while in Boston cheering on Kirsten at that little marathon that starts in Hopkinton every April), my Dad asked me if being there, in that incredible Bostonian atmosphere, if I ever had the desire to run a marathon. I’m pretty sure I said no. Actually, I know that I said no.

Running a stand-alone marathon has never been high on my list of things to do – and yet, here I am. One month from today, I will toe the start line in Vancouver for my first marathon. (I’m actually a bit excited about it. Who am I??)

At times May 5th still seems so far away, and at other times, it feels like it is just around the corner. Mostly though, the fact that I’m running a marathon in a month doesn’t seem real.

If I said I’m not a wee bit anxious about it, well that would be a lie. I am. I have lots of little doubts in my mind, as I’m sure most people do when they decide to run a marathon for the first time.

You know, typical little things like:
Am I running enough?
Can I really run my desired pace for that long?
How will my body react after 30k?
What if I get a blister?
Can I trust a fart after mile 1?

Anyway, moving on from the doubts (but keeping with the rambling theme of this post), here are some tidbits about my training as of late…
  • I’ve been running a lot.
  • I’ve been running on hills a lot.
  • I usually have at least one workout a week that makes me nervous. I think the nerves stem from me doubting my ability to hold certain paces for certain times (or some such nonsense). Then, almost without fail, on each and every one of these workouts I nail the paces and come away feeling just a little bit more confident in my ability. It’s kind of cool actually.
  • I have the odd day where I am unmotivated and a bit lazy or my ankle hurts and I wonder how it is going to hold up over the marathon distance, but mostly, I'm enjoying putting in the miles and getting the work done.
  • I actually find myself not missing the swim and bike as much as I thought I would. I am still getting in the pool a couple times a week, and getting on the bike a bit too, but these ‘workouts’ are more for supplemental maintenance than anything else. (I’ll admit there have even been times when I’ve had a swim or bike scheduled and thought, “I kind of just want to run.” There is something so easy about running – you just put on your shoes and go).
  • I’ve been doing the large majority of my training on my own. Even though Kirsten and Shane are both training for Vancouver as well, having a different coach means having a different training plan. It was a bit strange at first, but I’m adjusting and actually really liking it. I’m also trying really hard not to compare my training to others and to just trust in it. My coach is a world record holder after all, so I’m pretty sure he knows what he is doing.

Overall though, I think my training is coming along really well and I am super happy with it. I feel like my goal time is definitely within reach. It’s not going to be easy, but I truly believe it is doable.

I guess I’ll find out in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment