Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Marathon Training *gulp*

"The hill set is not an easy one to pace evenly at first, but you'll figure it out quickly. It goes a long way to helping you develop strength and good form, that will really help when you get into the meat and potatoes of the marathon training in 6 weeks or so."

When I read the above sentence in an email earlier this week, it took me back for a moment. Not the part about the hill workout , but more the part where it talks about getting into the “meat and potatoes of marathon training”. I think in the back of my mind, I keep forgetting that I am actually going to run a marathon in the foreseeable future.

It excites me, and it terrifies me.

I wonder how many other people are out there that have completed an Ironman, but find themselves more fearful of the marathon on its own – because, let me tell you, I sure as hell am.

Well, maybe fear is the wrong word, so let’s just say; I have a very healthy respect for the marathon.

I imagine being more ‘afraid’ of the marathon than Ironman actually might be more typical then you’d think. By the time you hit the marathon in Ironman, it is about survival (for me at least) and finishing – and while you want to get there as fast as you possibly can, there is so much more to the day.

I imagine, with a stand-alone marathon, the element of “racing” is much more present. I don’t want to run a marathon simply to finish it. Been there, done that, (at the end of a much longer adventure mind you) and I know I can cover the distance.

Of course, “racing” the marathon is relative. I definitely won’t be challenging anyone for the win or breaking any course records, but I do have a goal time in mind and it will be a challenge for me. I know I will have to really focus mentally and work hard to achieve what I want in this race and I definitely want to cross the finish line feeling like I gave it everything I could.

So, I am taking the steps to make that happen....
Right now, training is going well. I’m happily back into a solid routine. My new training plan is similar enough to what I’m used to, to keep me from feeling overwhelmed, but different enough to keep me on my toes and to keep things interesting and exciting.

I’ve had some really good runs lately – like really solid, confidence boosting runs – and have been in the pool and on my bike enough to keep me from feeling like I’m completely deserting my beloved triathlon.

Oh, and you know what else? I’m actually really starting to get excited about TransRockies. It is another one of those things that scares the crap out of me, but I’m feeling more and more ready to embrace the challenge and adventure that awaits me in the Colorado Rockies.


All rambling aside, anyone out there have some good tips for this marathon/TransRockies rookie??   

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! I have done two IM and one open marathon; the marathon was way worse and is way scarier than IM.
    Have I mentioned how jealous I am of your Trans Rockies??

    ReplyDelete