Thursday, January 10, 2013

Be Brave

This is probably super cliché, but sometimes the things that scare us the most end up being the most rewarding.

To me being brave is following your gut and your heart – embracing every moment and remembering that nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough. Brave says, “c’mon, step out of your comfort zone, let’s do this”.

We are all brave – but if you are anything like me, you might just need to be reminded of that now and again.


The last few weeks have been filled with a lot of emotion for me. I spent some time fretting and worrying about a decision that I felt needed to be made, but that I wasn’t quite ready to make. When I finally made the decision, I then spent some more time worrying about whether it was the right decision or not.

I was living inside my head, the only escape being irrational tears at the oddest times. Knowing I had done the right thing for me, but worrying I had hurt people in the process.

Of course, the decision wasn’t something that was going to destroy my life (or anyone’s life really), no matter which way it went, but it still wasn’t easy.

Anyway, about now you’re probably thinking “Get to the fricken point, what’s this monumental decision?”

Well… I’ve signed on with a new coach!

My year of transformation from triathlete to trail runner begins now – under the direction of some uber-athletes/coaches at B78 Coaching.

One fun thing they do at B78 is to have every athlete own a "Be…" word. It is yours and yours alone. Obviously, as you can see from above, I chose ‘Brave’. The part at the beginning of this post (in italics) is what 'brave' means to me.

Anyway, more on this next week. For now, I can say I am feeling really great about the decision I made. I trusted my gut and found a little bit of unconventional bravery in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment