Saturday, November 17, 2012

New Zealand Ramblings

It has now been one week since we returned to Canada after 4 weeks in New Zealand. Slowly, I’m starting to feel normal again (and I’m not talking about the jet lag, as I actually felt like I bounced back from that pretty quickly). More than anything, it has just been a bit strange getting back into the regular routine.

At work, I spent the first few days feeling totally out of the loop – even though I wasn’t, as really nothing major has changed. I just don’t think mentally I was prepared to be back at work and back to “normality”. I enjoyed my month of zero responsibility and doing (and eating) whatever the hell I felt like.

That said, I am starting to get antsy to get back into a more structured training routine.

I really haven’t been training much, just kind of doing what I feel like. A 30’ ride on the rollers here, a 1500m swim there, the odd easy run… Oh, and a return to trainer class (by far my hardest workout in weeks! Although I must say, it felt flippin’ great!).

Next week I’ll meet up with Kelly and debrief the season and chat about what is on tap for next year.

In the meantime, since I’m missing New Zealand, I think it is time to reminisce (aka. indulge in enjoyable recollection of past events).


Raglan
Checking out the surf at Manu Bay.
  


Waitomo Caves
Picton Harbour
Playtime in Picton.
 
Ferry to the South Island.
(Definitely made me realize we have nothing to complain
about when it comes to BC Ferries)
Riding the Rails.
  
Beautiful Queenstown
COOKIE TIME!
Jet Boating in Shotover Canyon.

  
Kayaking in Milford Sound.
 


First (and last) whitebait sandwich of the trip.
 
Nelson
The start of an amazing day.












Getting extreme with a little Zorbing.

Followed by some Luge action. Oh yeah.



Some other random observations about New Zealand from this foreigner:

1) The speed limit is 100km/hr no matter what the road is like – and there is not a straight road in NZ!


Take the above as an example. That yellow squiggly line is a road. On the edge of a cliff. With no shoulders. The speed limit is 100km/hr. I’m pretty sure we barely got over 30km/hr.

That said, we were warned that NZ drivers are "maniacs" and while they did manage to drive about 100km/hr on any type of road (impressive), I found them to be courteous drivers who were much less territorial about their space on the road compared with Canadian drivers. That said, I wasn't the one doing the driving, so maybe my perception is skewed.

2) Bottled/canned drinks are bloody expensive. From a monetary perspective, you are probably better off drinking beer than you are drinking pop or juice.

3) Speaking of money. I think Kiwis have their monetary system figured out! I loved the fact that prices are advertised with the tax in - what you see is what you pay. Oh, and the whole rounding system is wicked awesome. Take note Canada. Take note.

4) The landscape reminded me of a cross between Vancouver Island and Hawaii. Two places I love. Yeah, it was pretty spectacular.

5) There were sheep everywhere. EVERYWHERE! And I loved them.


6) I never once felt unsafe, even in Auckland. I felt like everyone was super welcoming and wonderfully mellow. The country just has a great vibe to it. Oh, and I found it to be very clean and very eco-friendly.

7) NZ has some very creative and funny road signs. “Merge like a Zip” was my favourite.





8) It seems that once you are outside of Auckland, most Kiwis are not too fond of Aucklanders. Oh, and the rivalry between the North and South island is very interesting.

9) Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way. At. All. Not anywhere in the country. End of story. Look both ways before you cross the street. Then look again. Right, then left.

10) Overall, NZ is a great country. Warm and friendly people with visually stunning landscapes. A wonderfully relaxed place. Plain and simple – it is incredible and I’m so thankful I got to spend the time there that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment