Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Miscellaneous Mumbo-Jumbo

Well, it’s that time again ~ time for a random assortment of my thoughts and happenings from the past couple weeks.

As I sit here thinking about what I’ve been up to and what to write about, these are the words and ideas that popped into my brain: Training, Orlando, TessiNERDian 5km, Sri, First Oly, Poop-y Water, Sooke, Le Tour Withdrawl, and finally, long weekend!

Random, non?

So, where to begin… Well, how ‘bout Orlando?

Shane and I spent last week in sunny Florida, getting our Disney on. Well, it wasn’t exactly a vacation, as I was in Orlando for a conference with work. The Tessitura Learning & Community Conference to be exact. Tessitura is the ticketing/development software we use at work and it is used by hundreds of other arts organizations through North America, Australia and the UK. So, imagine a group of Arts nerds mixed with a group of IT nerds, and well, you have the Tessitura Conference. Shane has accurately nicknamed the attendees of this conference – TessiNERDians. He would be correct. Sadly, I suppose I am one of these nerds eh?

Anyway, I digress… The conference is pretty full on with training and info sessions, but this year the organizers scheduled in a fair bit of downtime as well, so Shane and I took advantage of this and spent many an hour at the Disney theme parks.

We road tested cars, soared above California, and travelled the world at Epcot; won the golden Fast Pass at the Magic Kingdom which allowed us to easily launch into space (mountain) before splashing back down to earth. We rock n’ roller coastered our way to terrifying towers and saw stunt spectaculars at Hollywood Studios before venturing into the African Safari and climbing Mount Everest at Animal Kingdom! Phew, that was a lot of stuff to pack into 8 days! It was hot, it was crowded and it was EXPENSIVE, but it was also a lot of fun. I’m definitely a sucker for Disney (and lego bull dogs).



As for training while in Orlando, well, not a lot happened. I did get in a few (HOT) runs and even participated in a 5km fun run/walk that the conference puts on, but really not much else (other than a heck of a lot of walking) took place. I think the downtime may have been needed though and I’m hoping it helped recharge me as I head into the later part of the tri season.

Now, back to the 5km fun run/walk. Last year I was the 4th female overall (just missing out on the prizes) so I vowed to make it to the (virtual) podium this year… and I did! I was the 1st female overall (and top 5 or 6 overall, overall). While the competition really wasn’t that challenging (and the race was only 4.5km according to my Garmin), I had a good run in very very HOT and HUMID weather. I was on pace for a PB and, in all honesty, I wasn’t even pushing as hard as I could have. So yeah, it was my first win, and well, I’ll take it! Oh, and I guess that means I’m the fastest female TessiNERDian, haha.

Back in Victoria and back to reality, I’ve settled back into my regular training routine over the last couple days.

This weekend I will be racing the Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence Triathlon. This will be my first time participating in this event, and will be my first Olympic distance triathlon ever! It kind of shocks me sometimes that I’ve never raced this distance. That said, the CRD has posted a health advisory notice regarding Hamsterly Beach at Elk Lake and the lake may get closed due to high levels of fecal coliform (yuck). So, I guess I could potentially be racing in my first Duathlon this weekend. Either way, I guess it will be something new. Regardless of what the race turns out to be (tri or du), I’ve been approaching this event more as a hard training day and don’t have much expectation. In the end, I’m just hoping to get out there, have fun and feel good at the end of it.

I’ll admit, the following weekend in Sooke is when I really hope to pull things together and have a kick ass race!


Other random notes… I’m totally going through le Tour withdrawl. So, a picture of Johnny Hoogerland’s cut up white butt is in order I think. Getting slammed into a barbed wire fence by a French media car really upped this guy's prominence on the internet eh?



And finally, just yesterday I realized that this coming weekend is BC Day and a long weekend! What a great surprise.

HAPPY BC DAY EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment