Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Title-less Post

Gosh, the weeks sure have been rolling along…

The weekend of June 4/5 was spent in the sunny Okanagan as Kirsten took on the Oliver Half Iron. Shane and I joined her for the whirlwind trip in order to spend a little time in Penticton with Doug & Di and to pick up our new (to us) barbeque.

Considering what a quick trip it was (arrival late Friday night, departure early Monday morning) it was a really great time and actually felt like a bit of a vacation. The weather was amazingly hot and I managed to get in a couple really good bikes (and even a so-so run). It was so nice to be out on the road in some different (yet still familiar) territory, just ripping it up and working on the bike short tan lines. I love riding in Penticton!

As for the race (and the main reason for the trip), Kirsten did great! The conditions were tough – nearing 30 degrees with not a stitch of wind or shade to be seen. Obviously I can’t speak for her, but I know it wasn’t easy. That said, from a spectating point of view - it was wonderful. I was pleasantly surprised how spectator friendly the course was and Shane and I managed to see Kirsten zip past at various intervals throughout the day without too much effort on our part.

Once home from Penticton it was back into the regular routine of swim, work, run, eat, sleep, bike, work, run, eat, sleep, swim, work… (well, you get the point). Last week actually felt like a fairly heavy week of training, but that will taper off this week as I start to get my head (and body) into race mode for the Victoria Sprint this coming weekend at Elk Lake.

I have to say I’m really looking forward to the Victoria Sprint. I did the sprint distance at this race last year and had a great time. It was so much fun. Also, since I did this last year, I figure I will be able to compare my times and see if my goal of “getting faster” this season is being attained in a race setting.

I have a feeling I might get a few more nerves than I had for Shawnigan… so, fingers crossed that I can pull it all together come race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment