Monday, May 16, 2011

Happy Re-Birth Day to Me

It’s been two years.

Today marks the “anniversary” of my PE diagnosis ~ my “re-birth” if you will.

Okay, so that may sound a little dramatic, but well, whatever – I’m allowed to be a little theatrical every now and again aren’t I? (I do work in the arts after all)

The approach of this day on the calendar has not loomed over me in the same way it did last year. Sure, I’ve been keenly aware of the date and have been awaiting its arrival for the last week or so now, but it’s been different. Last year, there was a nervous anxiety in the pit of my stomach for a long time leading up to “the day”. This year, no nerves. I haven’t been waiting in the same way.

So, May 16th. Here you are. Again. It’s so nice to see you.

I have not been tearing up at odd intervals throughout this day, and yet, my mind has still been a little preoccupied. Absorbed in memories of what this day held two years ago. Lost in the recollections of what has transpired in the two years since.

I can confidently say my PE is in the past. It’s a huge part of who I am, and who I will continue to be, but I’ve conquered it.

I suppose I am just thankful for what my PE started. I’m healthier, [although, perhaps not this week, as I think I’ve contracted the plague. I’m not sure I can remember the last time I’ve been rocked by a cold this hard], I’m fitter, I’m stronger (both physically and mentally) and as clichéd as it may sound, I just have a completely different appreciation for and outlook on life. I’m thankful.

So, to you May 16th – I will always hold a special place in my heart for you. I can’t wait to see you again next year.

1 comment:

  1. We are very thankful to have such a wonderful, well centered daughter who took such an awful situation and turned it into something good! We love you, we are proud of you and you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete