Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Quarter-Year Resolutions

When the New Year rolls around, I can often be heard saying "I don't really do resolutions." Mainly because I find I set small goals throughout the year for my athletic endeavours and am generally pretty happy with my life. That said, I was thinking back to 2007 when I set the goal to get in shape, and my resolution was to exercise for at least 30mins a day. When I think about the resolution now, it really changed everything about me. That one small and achievable step of exercising just a bit each day lead me to my first tri clinic and my subsequent love affair with the sport of triathlon.

Fast forward to the present… Recently, with my "no sweets at work" goal, I've been thinking more and more about resolutions and how such seemingly small changes can have such a huge impact. Because of that, I've decided to set some "Quarter-Year Resolutions" (most of which I've actually already started, but I figure if I put them on paper – aka. the intraweb – I may stick with them longer).

So, here they are in all their "resolution-y" glory...

1) Limiting my sugar intake at work is going to remain high on my list. I’m hoping to continue this at work and also expand this level of restraint into my home life (and more importantly, my weekend life, as that seems to be the times I slip up the most). I’ve said it before, and will say it again – I’m not cutting junk out completely, but definitely hoping to limit my candy and sugar consumption and make healthier snack choices.

2) I've been experimenting with cooking a bit more lately. I'm not a great cook - more because I tend to lack the patience and creativity to craft something incredible - but, I have been trying out a few new recipes lately (two of which are posted below) and I think it would be a good resolution to continue to experiment in the kitchen. I've [unofficially] already sort of started this, but perhaps my goal will be to try a new recipe at least once a week (or every other week - so as not to get overwhelmed). I did come across a good blog recently (My New Roots ) with all sorts of delicious and healthy looking ideas, so that should help with my experimentation.

3) Lastly, at the beginning of the year, I wrote a note to myself that I wanted to "stretch more, maybe try some yoga, and work on strength and core a little more consistently." While I didn't start right at the onset of 2011, I have been attending yoga classes fairly regularly as of late, and have been really enjoying it. I find that yoga helps me accomplish all these things at one time (a little stretch, a little core and a little strength) while also helping me to relax and focus. In fact, I've been enjoying it so much, that I have signed up to do my 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training. I'm hoping this will help deepen and expand my own practice, but also perhaps give me the opportunity to teach like-minded people and to do a job (even if just on the side) that I enjoy. Only time will tell I suppose.

Anyway, all rambling aside, I want to leave off with this quote that I saw recently. It really struck me. I like it, although I'm not sure I have the answer to it quite yet.

"Who did you want to be? And why aren't you?"


---------------------------------------


Recipe 1 - Jewel Cookies
From Lauren Campbell's Blog. Super easy, yummy and vegan to boot! I’ve made these a couple times now, once with cashews instead of almonds, both times with raspberry jam. They are delish!

Recipe 2 - Rice Salad for the Trail
From Canadian Running Magazine. I have only made this once, and not for the trail, but I quite enjoyed it. It is fairly sweet, so I would say that it is better in small doses or as a side rather than as the main portion of your meal. Super tasty though and quite filling too.

No comments:

Post a Comment