Friday, December 31, 2010

Scotty welcomes Blue Steel

As 2010 comes to a close I can’t help but feel lucky for the year I’ve had. 2010 has been somewhat of a defining year for me I think. In fact, I’d say the past 2 years have really shaped the person that I am today. I’ve had some struggles, but feel like I’ve come out on top, stronger and more confident than ever before. I became an Ironman. I formed a new bond with my sister (who I can now say is my best friend) that will be forever stronger due to our journey together. I’ve recently entered my 4th decade of life, and well, I’ve swam, I’ve biked, and I’ve run (A LOT!).

I was especially spoiled this Christmas and birthday and have welcomed a new member to my quiver of bikes. I’ve decided to call my shiny new Marinoni cross bike ‘Blue Steel’. While it’s not quite as flashy as Scotty (my road bike) it’s a great solid bike for winter training that will allow me to get out on the road without worrying about the winter dirt and muck. After a great (and chilly) ride yesterday with my Dad, I’m feeling really excited about training this winter (at least the bike portion anyway, haha).



Other than that, I’ve spent the last two weeks in active recovery mode. Training has been extremely low key and flexible and while I’ve enjoyed it (and needed it); I also know I’ve been eating way too much junk and have been feeling a bit sluggish for it. I’m looking forward to getting back into a more structured routine as we roll into the New Year. I will have new challenges ahead, first in my own training, as I attempt to gain some speed and see what I can accomplish over shorter distances. As well, I will be taking on the roll of run leader for the first time with Frontrunners Westshore, as I attempt to lead their Oak Bay 'Kool' Half-Marathon Clinic in the spring.

I’m looking forward to finding out what the New Year will bring, but for now, I shall sign off and enjoy the dwindling hours of 2010.

Until 2011...

No comments:

Post a Comment