Saturday, November 13, 2010

Maui Love

Late last night (well, actually, early this morning) I returned from a week of basking in the sun (and replenishing my vitamin D stores) in Maui. It was a somewhat impromptu trip, only planned about 3 weeks prior, when Shane and I decided to throw caution to the wind and join some friends who would be in the "aloha state" for a wedding.

We arrived last Friday night to a bit of a rain storm, but that was the last we would see of any sort of precipitation. The weather was phenomenal and the laid back vibe of Kihei town was absolutely amazing.

We snorkeled, we explored, we ate, we drank, we hiked a volcano, we boogie boarded, we surfed, we took silly sunset 'jump' photos, we didn't get attacked by sharks and we had more than a few beach days! It was pretty much everything you could ask for in a tropical vacation.



















I was also able to squeeze in a bit of training (turns out it is all I ever think about). Part of me would have liked to have done more, but it was a vacation after all. ;)

Leading up to said vacation, my desire to run had really been lacking, but it felt like as soon as we touched base on Hawaiian soil running was all I wanted to do! I was lucky enough to be able to get in more than a few great runs around Kihei and Wailea (which is very very hilly). The heat was often intense, but wow, it’s amazing how breaking such a fierce sweat can make you feel so good!

On top of running, I enjoyed a fun swim workout at Kihei’s outdoor community pool. It was so neat to be swimming laps in a pool and be able to look over and see a palm tree in your peripheral. I would have liked to have taken advantage of the pool a little more, but the schedule didn’t always work with the day’s activities.







The only thing that was missing was having a road bike to get out and explore the hilly roads of Maui... but, I suppose I had to save something for next time!

1 comment: