Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"Is that all you ever think about?"

"Is that all you ever think about?"

This was the text response that greeted me when I sent Shane a note on my way home one night and asked if he still wanted to go for a run when I got there. I think my very un-witty response at the time was something along the lines of, "no, not always", but in fact it should have been "Running? Nah, I think about swimming and biking too” [ba dum bum]

Seriously though, it is not all I ever think about, but triathlon (and fitness and health in general) do consume a good portion of my mind and thoughts. That said, lately, I’m finding it a bit difficult to get these thoughts on [virtual] paper. Maybe writing a ‘triathlon blog’ while in the triathlon off-season isn’t that easy? Perhaps, it’s the lack of races on the horizon; or maybe even the grey weather outside that seems to strip me of my desire to do anything but laze around in front of the wood stove and watch horrible television (oh, and workout and think about triathlon of course, haha).

That said, while my desire to write has been lacking, I have been keeping up with a pretty consistent training schedule in preparation for the Bear Mountain 10k on November 20.

Part of me dreads this race. Like a serious, full on, “why did I sign up for this” dread. The thought of ‘Baby Bear’ ‘Mama Bear’ and ‘Papa Bear’ make me cringe a little every time I think of them. But of course, another part of me remembers how fun it was last year. Sure, I took it really slow (treating it more as an easy training day than a race) and I even walked a little (which I plan NOT to do this year) but there is something about this race that really is appealing. Maybe it’s the challenge, or the thrill of competing in “Canada’s Hardest 10k” or even just the good old grass roots feel, or the fact that you get a Lululemon t-shirt this year. Whatever it is, I’ll be there. Ready to take it on as a race this year and not just an easy training day.

Watch out Papa Bear… I’m coming for you ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment