Monday, May 31, 2010

Shawnigan Half Iron - Race Report

Well, I’m quite happy to say “Chapter 1” on the road to Ironman is finally complete. It may have taken a while to get there, but I think that made it a little sweeter in the end.


So, now for my Shawnigan Half IM race report....

Overall I am pretty pleased with how the day went. There are definitely things I would have liked to go a little better (*cough cough* the run *cough*), and definitely a few things I know I need to work on (*ahem* the run), but I suppose that’s part of the learning process and probably very rarely does someone walk away from a race thinking “that was perfect – nothing to improve there.”

I was a bit stressed on Saturday afternoon when it was time to take the bikes to the race site (I had to drop off Kirsten’s as well and pick up her race pack as she was out of town until the evening) but as soon as I dropped off the bikes, picked up the race packs and walked through transition a couple times I relaxed quite a bit. I felt a sort of eerie calm on Saturday evening and still can’t believe how relaxed I was. It was nice (especially after a week full of tummy cramps and noxious farts).

Sunday morning was equally as relaxed. I woke early enough to have some breakfast and a small cup of coffee, as is my usual routine. I felt pretty calm and just ready. I think I had sort of gotten to the point where I realized I'd done all the prep, and now whatever was going to happen, was going to happen. “Whatever Will Be, Will Be” as the song goes.

When we got to the park, I set up transition, had a quick look around and then decided to get into my wetsuit. Before I knew it, it was time. The water was cold, but didn’t shock my system quite as badly as it had the week previous on our training swim. Although, it sure was bloody cold, so I’m guessing it was just a little adrenaline keeping me warm at that point.

The swim went great. I was really really happy with it. My main focus was on staying relaxed and I did that. Of course there were a few times when I would get bumped or pushed to one side and I got momentarily flustered, but I was able to regain composure quite quickly. I’ve had a couple 'hypoxic' breathing drills recently in different workouts, and I actually think that they really helped me to just focus on my breath and keep my stroke long. Oddly enough, another thing I was really pleased with on the swim was how well I felt like I took all the turns.

T1 was slow, but again, relaxed. The run up to the racks was fine, but when I got there, I got really quite dizzy. I had to just stop for a moment and take a deep breath. This seemed to help and as soon as I didn't feel like I was going to pass out, I got my gear on and headed out. I had practiced my “flying mount” onto the bike in the days preceding the race, and pretty much felt like I had it dialed. Of course, I did not account for how numb my feet would be! So yeah, the “flying” part of the mount was pretty much non existent. I found it pretty comical though, so that kept any frustration at bay.

I took a gel pretty quick on the bike and got some water in and felt really strong for most of the ride. The bike went pretty quick and I definitely kept a really positive self talk going in my head which I was proud of myself for. I think it’s so easy to get down on yourself during some of the climbs or when other people are flying past you on their fancy tri bikes. I did start to fade a bit on the fourth loop unfortunately and got a bit dizzy again. I also got a bit hungry just past the last water station, but every time I took a sip of Gatorade I felt kind of ill, so it turned into a weird balance of trying to get some calories in without chucking them back up. My feet were still numb when I tried to dismount, so it wasn't super fluid, but much like my mount, I wasn't too bothered by it. Kirsten was also running into the finish line (she raced the Olympic distance) just as I was coming in on the bike, so that was kind of fun to see her sprinting to the end.

I think T2 went quicker than the first one. Got my bike gear off and my socks and shoes on and off I went.

I won’t sugarcoat it; I really struggled with the run. I actually ended up walking right near the start. My breathing was really fast and I found I just needed to take a moment to get my breath back in check. I also took that time to take my bike jersey off (which I had forgotten to ditch in transition) and eat another gel as I couldn't tell if my stomach was hungry or unhappy. My calf really hurt and my feet were still numb pretty much for the first 5 or 6k. Shane came out to a point on the trail just before the first turn around which was great and gave me a little boost. Once my calf sort of flushed itself out and stopped cramping and my feet woke up I found a better rhythm for a short period. I was definitely moving at a slow pace, but I think it was a consistent one. Between the 11 & 16k mark I again started really struggling and my guts really got to me. I actually had to stop to use the washroom, which I very rarely ever have to, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I walked a couple more times, and just kept trudging along. All the volunteers I passed told me I looked very strong and steady, but I'm sure they say that to everyone. Kirsten came out to the trail and ran with me for the last km or two which really helped. She’s a great support and while I’m glad I did this race on my own, I’m looking forward to doing Ironman with her and being able to support each other throughout the day.

As I crossed the road and made my way down into the park for that final kick to the finish line I had to fight back a small lump in my throat. The thought that I had been in the hospital at this very time last year crept into my mind for one last time. I crossed the finish line in 6:12:48 and all I could do was smile – even as I noticed that single tear run down my Mom’s cheek.


In short, I was pretty pleased with the day. I did something not a lot of other people will do in their life. Sure, I would have liked to have had a better run, but I suppose it just gives me something to work on and hopefully improve on next time.

1 comment:

  1. Karyn! You're like Friday Night Lights - always making me cry. Congrats on a great race and a PB!

    ReplyDelete