Thursday, May 27, 2010

Nerves – Anxiety – Excitement – Anticipation

Sunday May 30, 2010 is the Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon.
For me, it will be the first time racing a Half Iron event.
For me, it's time to finally finish what I started last year.

It’s taken a while, but the pre-race jitters have finally kicked in. My mind is swirling with a potent mix of nerves and excitement. As usual with my pre-race anxieties, I know I can do the distance but the butterflies just won’t go away.

I had a nice pre-race massage this morning, just to give my battered legs a little flush and refresh before the big day. I’m eating and hydrating and visualizing and trying my best to only think positive thoughts.

I’ve had a couple people ask me today about my goal times, and it’s funny, because while yes, of course I have a time in mind that I want to finish under, it has not been my sole focus. More than anything I really just want to enjoy this race. My main goal is to have a positive day, to cross the finish line and feel like I did my best and that I never got down on myself or had a negative thought cross my mind.

I had a great pep talk (via email) from Kelly that went something like this:
You have done a mountain of training - you are ready to do this!
Take the race for what it is, a great event to blow out the winter cob webs.
There is no pressure on this race, it is to give us a base line to continue to build from and most importantly give you a chance to have some FUN and get some fitness through racing.
Treat it like a training day with a big group of people.
The most important thing that I want you to do is:
#1/ Have fun, enjoy the day.
#2/ Nail your nutrition.
#3/ Be steady and strong throughout the race.
#4/ Enjoy the race and have fun!


So… I guess we’re on the same page :)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Karen! You will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I noticed that spelled your name wrong in that comment... sorry! I do know how to spell it properly!

    Go Karyn!!

    ReplyDelete