Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Posterior Compartment Syndrome

Ever heard of it? Yeah, me neither… until this past Monday that is.

I’ve still been struggling with pain in my calf every time I run lately, and so, not wanting to let something minor turn into something major - and on the persistent urging of my Mom [see comments on one of my last posts for example, haha] - I decided it was time to pay a visit to a physio and get things checked out.

So on Monday, I met with JR from Parkway Physiotherapy in Langford. So far, he’s been great (I know it’s only been one session, but still, I feel confident he’s going to help get me sorted out). I think he was a little scared of me at first. I only say this because he said he’s never treated an athlete who is on Warfarin before, but as I’ve learned many times this year, my situation and clotting episode is, well, sort of unexpected and unusual. Anyway, after going over all my history - including every twinge and cramp and ache and pain since my clot - as well as testing my leg strength and looking at my body mechanics, JR set me up on the calf press machine with a crazy amount of weight and had me do calf raises. I’m realizing now he never actually said what we were doing, but I’m pretty sure he was trying to see how long it took to trigger my calf pain… the answer – not long, not long at all! (only about 25 raises to be exact). So, as our hour session was coming to an end he felt pretty confident making the initial diagnosis of “Posterior Compartment Syndrome”. He gave me a strict stretching regime to adhere to, as well as some strengthening exercises for my anterior (calf?) muscles and assured me he was going to do some more research before our next meeting, since continuing with my ‘medical freak’ year, I am only about the 6th or 8th person he has seen in his 15 year career with this issue. We’re going to meet again next Monday so he can have a better look at my stride and my running shoes, etc. and from there treatment will probably move onto massage.



Other than that, the past week of training has been pretty good – some slight struggles on the run due to my calf, but I’ve been feeling better in the pool and am really focusing hard on working a proper stroke. Watch out Michael Phelps ;)

Other than that, I got some very exciting news from Shane last night. I had been planning to surprise him with a trip in January for his 30th birthday, and (great minds think alike) he had also been planning a surprise trip for me. Of course when my parent’s found out about both of these ‘surprise’ trips, they suggested we need to talk to each other, so now we are going to plan the perfect getaway together.... We’ll be heading to Hawaii in early January! I can’t wait!! It will be nice to have some time off together not spent in a hospital and maybe even get some hot weather training in as well (but shhh, don’t tell Shane that my running shoes are going to make the trip as well).

I wonder if they have Pineapple Fanta in Hawaii?

No comments:

Post a Comment