Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Motivation, Inspiration, Vacation... Random-nation?

Don't ask me what the title of this post really means, as I'm not totally sure myself. They are just a few words that popped into my head. I haven't posted in a while as I've been having trouble focusing my thoughts to one particular subject. As such, I think the following is just going to be a bit of a mixed bag. Potpourri Round 2 I suppose.

So, let's see, where to begin... how about the run.

I was thinking recently about how last year I did most of my runs first thing in the morning, on the roads around my house in Shawnigan. It's not really the most ideal place to be running, as there is very minimal shoulder and no street lights, but I never really worried about it as I have managed to put together a pretty reflective run kit for those dark mornings. That said, this year something has changed and I just can't seem to get comfortable running in the dark up there alongside traffic. I've had more fear of getting run down, more fear of spraining an ankle on the uneven dirt that is the shoulder, more fear (and albeit irrational, it's still fear) of getting attacked by some strange animal lurking in the dark. As such, I've taken to doing most of my shorter/easy runs on my lunch break at work. It's been nice because it allows me to run some routes I wouldn't usually tackle and also, recently, I've been joined by two of my co-workers. It's great motivation to have some friends alongside you to chat with on a run and also to have a chance to get to know each other better as well. While I enjoy the solitary pursuit of running and will still relish the odd long run on my own, it's pretty amazing how quickly a 30 minute outing can go when you've got someone by your side.... and so the 'POV Run Club' is born. Remember guys... you LOVE running. Other notables about the run is that all the stretching and massage I've been doing/getting lately seems to be helping and my calf is starting to feel a little better on each outing. Fingers crossed the improvement continues.

Other than running, I've had some good spins on the bike recently (mainly trainer rides though - I really need to get out on the road!) and some decent swims. Actually come to think of it, about a week and a half ago I think I experienced the hardest swim workout of my life! It wasn't necessarily hard from a physical standpoint, but it was very technical with a lot of 'no board' kicking to help me work on my body rotation (among other things). I didn't actually make it through the whole thing, partly due to running out of time (I'm a slooow kicker) and partly due to getting a tad flustered, but I will say things are coming together with my stroke and while I'm still not as fast as I would like to be, I'm definitely finding things are starting to click again. And you know, that 'click' feeling is kinda nice.

What else.... ahh yes, the best part! I'm now on vacation from work for the Christmas holidays (as well as for Shane and my trip to Hawaii in January). When all is said and done, I will be away from work for nearly a month... and boy, does it feel good. It's really nice to not have to think about work and only really have training on the schedule. [Random aside: anyone feel like sponsoring a middle of the pack age-grouper who may never win a race but will always enjoy the moment and show great love for a great product... if so, I'm your girl :) haha]. I've been battling a bit of a cold but have still managed to get in some solid training sessions (between wrapping gifts and last minute shopping that is). This next week or so will probably continue to be a bit on the heavier side for training before some downtime and active recovery in Waikiki. I can’t wait!

Well, I thought I had more in my head but I guess not... and it looks like it's time to hit the trainer.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment