Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Saying Hello

I've not felt much like writing lately.

Actually, scratch that. I actually have felt like writing, but each time I sit down and attempt to write something – anything – I find myself without words. My fingers grazing the keyboard – perched perfectly on the A-S-D-F-J-K-L-; keys – but nothing happens. I seem to be at a loss.

So today I figured it was as good a time as any to just start rambling. To say HELLO! to the big wide world (via the world wide web) and see what comes out.

-----------

I've been contemplating the idea of doing another #100happydays photo challenge for a couple weeks now, and I think it is time.

Since Rusty has been gone, I've noticed I'm in a bit of a happy slump. Don't get me wrong, I'm not walking around in a pit of despair or utter sadness all of the time, but there are definitely some days where I find myself focusing more on missing him, and missing seeing Shane every day, and just missing the normalcy of what our life once was. On these days, I find myself [unintentionally] looking past all of the awesome things and amazing people in my life.

So I think it's time to jump-start my gratitude a little, and taking some photos (and in turn being more alert and aware of all the good in my world) seems like a pretty easy way to do this.

Day 1
A solid morning spin class at The Loft.
[Added bonus: Coach Mical's adorable boxer dog made an appearance]
-----------

Now, let's talk ‘training’…

I'm still firmly in do-what-you-feel-like-when-you-feel-like-it mode. I've gotten into a pretty solid routine though, and most weeks I am getting in at least 2 swims, 2-3 bikes and 2-3 runs. Some weeks have more. Some weeks have less. It's all good though, as I'm actually feeling pretty fit and healthy right now, and am enjoying the workouts that I am doing.

That said, I still haven't picked a goal race for the year. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I guess it's just a thing.

I've had brief thoughts about maybe a marathon and going for a PB, which then makes me think, perhaps I should try and chase a BQ. It would take A LOT of hard work, but I age up this year to 35-39 even though I will actually be 34 for the entirety of the year (minus a few days) so it seems like as good a time as any to try… and yet, I'm not sure I really want to train that hard right now, haha. Talk about motivation eh.

I'm also really digging riding my bike right now. Granted, most of my rides have been on the trainer lately, but it's been great to push myself in some pretty intense workouts, and I find I'm craving the thought of exploring on two wheels more than I'm craving other activities. Maybe a goal of a Hurricane Ridge ride in the spring/summer or some other fun non-race challenge is in order? A long weekend bike-tour of the island perhaps? I dunno. I'm open to any fun cycling related ideas, so if you have one, send it my way.

-----------

Other random bits…

1) Like most of the rest of North America, I got seriously sucked into Serial. It was my first intro to podcasts, and I'm now officially hooked. Listening to podcasts makes my commute so much more enjoyable! Currently I'm really digging Invisibilia.

2) I didn't set any resolutions this year, but a lot of the ladies in my office were looking to get a little more active as the calendar rolled over to 2015. Since I'm the resident endurance junkie in the office, I got nominated to help get them up and moving throughout the day. I've had a little reminder to ‘MOVE!’ set on my computer for quite some time now (it goes off once an hour), and now instead of just getting up and moving a little on my own, I send out an hourly reminder to all the gals and we get up and do something active – from walking the stairs, to push-ups and planks, to stretching, to… you get the point. It's pretty awesome and really helps break up the day.

3) I've been looking at a lot of dog rescue websites lately. Neither Shane nor I are really ready for a new addition yet, but I definitely miss having a pup around, and so, I figured it can't hurt to keep an eye out. You never know when the right little furball will come along.


And on that note, I think that's enough for today. Happy Tuesday All!

6 comments:

  1. What a fun update! Love invisibilia, too! Also currently obsessed with Radiolab… it's excellent. Great idea on another round of #100happydays… currently debating that, too. I've been working on being more mindful and am just starting to meditate… it's helping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just downloaded some Radiolab episodes ~ looking forward to checking it out!

      Delete
  2. have we previously determined we have similar birthdays..I think so. Lets do this 35-39!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I think we have... Christmas babies for the win!!

      Delete
  3. Nice to meet another Canadian triathlon blogger! Found you via Erin's blog at sweetsweatlife. I've been to that wrecked bomber... years ago! And I too aged up this year to 35-39 though I'll be 34 most of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Always happy to "meet" a fellow Canuck blogger.

      Delete