Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Race of Death

^No, I’m not referring to Ironman, although I think some of my friends probably consider that a death race.

What I’m actually referring to is the Canadian Death Race. Aka: the only other race I’ve signed up for this coming season besides IM CdA.

I’m not quite crazy/brave enough to sign up for this bad boy solo (yet?) and so, I will be taking on this challenge as part of a relay team with some of my favourite peeps ~ my family!

In all fairness, this race was never really on my radar and I figured the summer months post CdA would be spent doing what I felt like. You know, perhaps some shorter races, maybe a few trail adventures (running and hiking), filling my gut with yummy food and summer brews, and generally just enjoying a summer free of strict training plans. That said, the Death Race is something Kirsten has been itching to do, and when Shane told her that if she did IM CdA with us, he would do the Death Race – well, she called his bluff.

And so, team “Till Death Do Us Part” was born.

The team will consist of me and Shane, Kirsten and Tyler, and my Dad (who was nominated and named the 5th member of the team without much warning or chance to decline. Good thing he is a good sport and always game for a new adventure).

I don’t have much to say about it so far, as I haven’t done much research. I think my summer post CdA will still consist of all the things listed above, just with a little bit more trail running thrown in the mix... which definitely isn't a bad thing.

One thing I do know about the race is that I will be running the 3rd leg.

I also know that the race takes place in Grande Cache – a town that I have very limited experience with, but a town that I won’t soon forget.

Years ago, as Shane was going into his second year of college in northern Alberta, he decided it would be best to drive back up to school rather than fly and so I accompanied him on the road trip. I think we had planned to try and make the trek in one day, but as the sun began to set and the realization that we would be the sore losers should there be a collision with a moose, we decided to stop at the next town. 

The next town? Yep, you guessed it, GRANDE CACHE!

I have only ever spent that one frightful night in Grande Cache, in a motel that I am pretty sure Norman Bates was running. I still shudder when I think about it. 

Let me tell you, when the creepy desk clerk gives you the ‘only room left’ and lets you know it is a ‘special one’ you kind of wonder. When you enter the world’s creepiest room and realize it is located right next to Norman Bates’ private residence, you start to think about taking your chances against the moose on a dark highway.

I don’t think I slept a wink that night, nor did I remove any piece of clothing or unpack anything from my bag. I was ready for a quick getaway should psycho make an appearance.

Anyway, long story short, we’ll likely be camping during the Death Race, cause I can’t remember the name of the hotel and I’m not taking any chances the second time around.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment