Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Glance Back, A Look Forward

Glancing Back…
2013 was a pretty good year. I didn't do very much racing (in fact, I didn't do one triathlon the whole year), but I certainly had some fun new adventures and probably learned a little about myself along the way.

Highlights include running my first stand-alone marathon (well, I ran 30ish km of it and shuffle/walked the rest) and diving head first into the wonderful world of trail running. Obviously, a week spent running through the Colorado Rockies was a major, MAJOR highlight and something I won't soon forget.

Through it all, I definitely had some ups and downs and certainly struggled at times, but I finally got some race photos I'm happy with (ones where I don't look like Sloth from the Goonies) and found a whole new appreciation for multi-sport.

Don’t get me wrong, I really loved hitting the trails and being off-road and don't plan to ditch the trail running anytime soon, but I also realized the variety of triathlon is what makes me truly happy. The smell of chlorine on my skin after a hard swim workout is something that will always make me smile.

Looking Forward…
While I don’t really have any true resolutions that I feel the need to declare as we start 2014, I did think it would be fun to do a little list of race goals and other silly/fun things that I would like to accomplish this year.

1) Swim 500m with flip turns. (I totally stole this, but it is such a great idea. I’m always saying I want to learn to flip turn consistently, this might just be my push).

2) Actually get my butt out of bed on a Saturday morning and go to a Duncan Masters session. It will take me out of my comfort zone for sure (both socially and physically), but it will be good for me.

3) Do a cyclocross race in the fall. I had so much fun when I did a couple races back in 2011 and I would like to give it another go.

4) Try not to be so shy around new people. As in, introduce myself to others rather than standing around looking awkward waiting for someone else to make the first move and introduce themselves to me.

5) In keeping with the above thought, I think it would be fun to get out to more group workouts and make some new friends who share similar interests.

6) Run a sub 22 minute 5k. This really shouldn't be that hard if I actually pace myself properly. I've been very close the last couple years (22:01, 22:06 & 22:07) and well, I know I've got it in me.

7) Run a sub 1:45 half marathon. I haven’t really raced a half marathon since 2010. At that time I set my current PB (1:50:53). I think I am a stronger, more confident runner now and so I’m pretty sure I have a faster half in me. Who knows what the year will bring, but I’m thinking that if all goes well and I’m not totally burned out by the fall, I might see what I’m capable of at the Victoria Half in October.

8) Race a perfectly executed Ironman in Coeur d’Alene. For me this will involve nailing my nutrition, talking nicely to myself throughout the day, having fun, and most importantly leaving it all out there. I had a time goal of sub-13hrs in 2012 at IMC, and while I still want this, I want all the other things to happen first. If the time on the clock starts with a 12, well that will just be the icing on the cake.

9) This one may be a bit cliché but: Talk nice to myself. Judge Less. Get out of my head.
Shane said something the other day that is very true… my “failures” in racing aren't because I don’t train hard or because I’m physically not capable; they are because of this *points at head*. I'm pretty sure my future successes will be found in the same place.

I have some other more “financially responsible” goals and habits I am hoping to form and have written down in my own special little place, but that is boring stuff (you don’t really care if I bring my lunch to work more than I buy it, do you?), so we’ll stick with the fun sport and health related goals for now.

And with that, I leave you a passage that I once read on Clara Hughes’ blog that seems very fitting at this time of year. 

“The goals I have now are small and most likely invisible to others.  Goals of changing the words inside my head to nicer sentiments.  Goals of simply enjoying what I do no matter how small the deed.  Even more than enjoyment, letting myself feel some sort of satisfaction and accomplishment with these small things.  Not simply moving forward like a freight train though all the beautiful moments, forgetting to stop and feel the wonder of it all.”

3 comments:

  1. Well if you ever see me at one of the races please come over and introduce yourself.

    Maybe we will see each other in Victoria for the GoodLife race. :)

    We get in our heads and that is what defeats us most of the time. When I am running a race I try to remember what Warren tells me beforehand "Run your run." It typically helps me. Maybe you can find a phrase or something to pick you up.

    I see both the 5k and the half being obtainable goals.

    Good luck with them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I feel like maybe I have seen you at a race before, as you seem very familiar, but I think it was before I started following your blog. That said, I will definitely introduce myself if we turn up at the same event again (which really, is bound to happen in Victoria, isn't it?)

      Delete
    2. Maybe we have yes.
      It could happen in Victoria for sure. We could touch base before hand and then make it happen. For the GoodLife race there are so many people it is easy to miss even someone who came to the race with you. ;)

      Delete