Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What is happening?

My legs hurt.

A lot.

Like, A LOT a lot.

I can feel every sinew in my adductors and hips and quads and when I squat I involuntarily let out a little groan.

Man, what is happening to me?

Oh right, I took nearly two weeks off from training (the minimal amounts of swimming and biking were more just to keep me from going insane I think) and now that I’ve reintroduced some weight bearing exercises (think running and strength workouts) and am back at the whole two-a-day grind, my body is talking a little more loudly to me than it has in a while. (Although, I think it might just be asking for more cookies and grilled cheese, non?)

Don’t get me wrong, the two weeks of very little structure was absolutely needed. It was a perfect mental and physical break after Ironman and I find myself more and more excited for New Zealand. I’m happily looking ahead and no longer looking back.

So, even though I may groan each time I stand up from my desk at work, the stiffness in my legs is welcome. It is definitely a good hurt and I know by week’s end, my body will likely have reignited and things will be decidedly less painful.

That said, it does feel a bit strange to still have a race to focus on and train for. While most people in the Pacific Northwest are putting their tri-suits away for the season, my second ‘A’ race of the year is just around the corner. The air has a distinct fall chill to it and most Victoria area tri-geeks probably don’t have a lot of open water swimming on the horizon.

I however, have not packed up the wetsuit quite yet. I read recently the water temperature in Auckland on race day will likely be in the 14-16C (57-61F) range. Granted, I usually have no idea what the water temperature is around here, but well, 14-16C seems kinda cool, don’t cha think?

I believe Okanagan Lake measured somewhere in the 21-23C range this year for IMC, so I’m guessing 14-16C will be similar to the chill that we experience in Shawnigan each year in May (of course if anyone reading can correct me, please feel free). So yeah, Thetis (and perhaps even the ocean) will remain on my list of training facilities until at least October 14. Brrrr.

[Tangent Alert! Shane tells me that 14-16C is perfect “great white shark temperature”. I have a slightly irrational fear of sharks and can’t stop replaying (in my head) a story I saw on Shark Week about a guy in Australia’s Sydney harbour being attacked by a shark. The swim in Auckland just so happens to be in a harbour too. Eeek! Of course, this is good incentive to work on swimming really fast, so that I’m out of the water quickly. Besides, my odds are better in a big group right? I just need to make sure I don’t fall off the main pack, haha].

Another reason it seems a bit strange to still be focused on triathlon, is that last year around this time I discovered how fun cyclocross can be. Getting muddy and dirty and throwing yourself around a crazy biking obstacle course = awesome.

Part of me thought I would take part in the fall cross season again this year before heading to Auckland, but after a women’s only CX clinic on Monday night, I realized it is probably best to avoid the cross bike until after NZ.

Don’t get me wrong, the clinic (put on by the amazing Mical Dyck) was an absolute blast! I learned some great new skills (like how to dismount and mount while still wearing my shoes, how to properly carry my bike, plus much much more) and I don’t think the smile left my face the whole time I was there. Man, what a silly and thrilling sport!

[Fun fact: Mical hates bananas, but is an awesome teacher when it comes to all things CX].

That said, I also learned that the whole time I was trying to corner down a hill or slalom through some cones, the World Champs were in the back of my mind, and I was tentative. (I hit the chicken switch a lot on Monday night). I fell a lot last year as I attempted to learn to cross and I realized I was very afraid to fall and hurt myself before Auckland. I think injuries normally happen when you are tentative, so, mounting the ol’ CX bike is going to be put on hold until November – at which time I plan to hit the parks and trails and truly learn to get wild on the cross bike.

So, what lies ahead as I get back into training? Well, something I’ve not done a whole heck of a lot of this year. Sprinting. Speedwork. Hard~Steady~Fast efforts! A return to the PAIN ZONE.

It terrifies me a little. I find myself really nervous about the type of work that I need to put in over the next 5 weeks or so. I know I've got the fitness, but now I need to teach my body how to fire again and I need to embrace the hurt that I so often shy away from.

Thankfully, I read Katie’s Rev3 Cedar Point race report this morning and she posted the most amazing quote: “ 'My heart is afraid it will have to suffer,' the boy told the alchemist one night as they looked up at the moonless sky. 'Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams.' ”

I love this so much.

So yeah, if you see me out swimming or biking or running over the next little while and I look like I’m suffering – well, that’s a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment