Thursday, July 15, 2010

On things...

I keep feeling like it’s about time to write a little training recap, but can’t say that anything significant has happened as of late. I’ve been a bit fatigued, but tomorrow is a rest day (yay!) and overall, training has been rolling along well and I feel like I’ve been putting in some solid efforts. A few noteworthy items are below.

On the swim…
Apart from the fact that my ear has revolted against me with a lovely bout of swimmer’s ear, I have been really enjoying the open water swim sessions we’ve been having twice a week out at Thetis. It seems Kelly tells me I need to work on the same thing every session (which I know I do – reach and rotation). Some days I wonder if he gets frustrated by always having to repeat himself or if he thinks I never listen? Anyway, that said, I am taking it all in and trying to work on these things, and I do actually think that slowly but surely, I'm improving. In fact, I am actually feeling really good about the swim lately – it’s maybe just not showing in my stroke quite yet. ;)

On the bike…
I’ve been on the bike a lot in the past week or so – a much higher frequency of shorter rides (although that will change this weekend when the duration ramps right back up). Last night I was back into Trek to get a new set of aerobars and to test yet another seat – and hallelujah, I think I have finally found a saddle worth hanging onto! It is actually the very first saddle I tried when I got my new bike (I guess sometimes you just don’t realize how good something is until you’ve gone and tested out a few of the ‘not-so-good’ variety) and it actually felt – dare I say it – rather comfy on last nights ride.

On the run…
While I’m still not totally in love with running at this point in my tri-life, it is slowly and surely progressing and starting to feel better again. I had a good outing last Sunday in the peak of the midday heat that helped boost my confidence a little. It wasn’t fast, but it was consistent throughout which was nice. I think, at the end of the day, that maybe I’m becoming more capable of fighting through the mental aspect of the aches and pains (??). *Fingers crossed*

On the nerves…
Even though everything seems to be going well, on Monday of this week I had an extreme case of nerves. I’m not sure what brought it on, but when I looked at the good old ‘IMC Countdown’ and saw 47 days staring back at me, my tummy turned on itself and the butterflies began. The nerves have since eased, but I hope they don’t make an appearance again for awhile, as that could make for a very long August.

44 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment