Thursday, September 17, 2009

Why?

Why do I do triathlon? Why Ironman?? Why this blog???

All questions I’ve either been asked, figure I will be asked, or have asked myself.


So, why triathlon?

Quite simply, it makes me happy.

I like being in shape.
I like being able to indulge in sickly sweet lattes, pastries, pizza, chocolate (and more) and not feel uber-guilty about it.
I like being able to call myself a triathlete. I think it has a nice ring to it.
I like beating my sister in a race… and even though it’s not as much fun, I kinda don’t mind losing to her either (kinda). I guess what I really like is that she pushes me to be better.
I like that Kirsten and I have become great friends and can share this passion.
I like the atmosphere on race day.
I like the people you meet who share similar interests and goals.
I like training. I really like training - even the super early mornings.
I like when my pants start to fit a little looser.
I like a good post-run poo (but I don’t like when I almost don’t make it to the can).
I like all the fun gadgets and high tech gear (I love my Garmin).
I like getting new runners… or bike shorts… or new socks... or, well, anything new really.
I like doing something that sets me apart a little – something that not everyone does.
I like being a part of a sport that is really three sports in one.
I like pushing my body to what I think are my limits and then crushing those limits.
I like being alive and able.
I like getting to the start line as much as the finish line.
I like swimming… and biking… and even running too.

And quite simply, it makes me really happy.


Why Ironman?

This one is a little harder to put into words.I suppose to me, it’s the ultimate - the ultimate test of my own endurance, both in a physical sense as well as a mental one.

When I got sick, I was told I could probably return to ‘moderate’ activity. I now hate the word moderate. Moderate made me think Ironman would never be a reality. It made me feel like I had to put that dream in a box and forget about it – and it crushed me. I can pin point a moment where the emotional pain of feeling like I would never be able to achieve this goal was worse than the physical pain and, well, it sucked.

So fast forward to August when Shane first suggested I go for it ('it' being Ironman) if I truly wanted to… and then the doctors said it would be okay... and then I realized it was doable. It was on! I didn’t want to wait.

I’m alive and I’m able – so why not?


Why blog?

I want to remember this experience. It’s more than one day, more than one race.
I have a terrible memory, so I think it might be fun to have an archive to look back on.
I’m terrible at talking about my feelings and thought this could be a good way to get some of my thoughts (and possibly emotions) out.
And finally, since not everyone is going to be able to (or want to) come for early morning swims, marathon bike rides and grueling runs, I want to be able to share the experience in a different way.


I’m sure there are many more answers to all of my questions above – some of which I’m probably not even aware of yet myself.

So… stayed tuned as the adventure begins!

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Can't wait to read more.

    I love that nothing is sacred here, hence, "I like a good post-run poo (but I don’t like when I almost don’t make it to the can)."

    You're awesome and inspiring.

    Shandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree you are awesome and so inspiring! I love that you are pushing yourself to grow both physically and mentally! I love that this has made you closer to Kirsten! I love the way you express yourself in words, your humour and most of all I love that you are alive and able!! Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karyn - rarely do I read something that makes me laugh out and makes me almost cry...nice work on the start to the official story of our journey. Thanks for pushing me to do this, this year. Go Team Iron-Dibbs x 2
    KLD

    ReplyDelete